2nd SCT

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  kitkat1985 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

wifeof
    Participant

We have just been told that my husband has relapsed having had a 28th month drug free remission since his 1st transplant. He is going to do 4 cycles of Lenalidomide, cyclophosphamide and dexamethasone. The plan is to do a 2nd transplant in the summer I was wondering if anyone out there could give us an insight into having a 2nd transplant. He got through his first very well with only a couple of bad days and it was just a case of him getting his strength back and his numbers recovering and he was  home in just over two weeks. Any information would be great

tonyf
    Participant

Evening, I managed 26 months from my first SCT. Like your husband I managed the first quite well, though was in for 21 days. I had the second in March 2016, was in solitary for 14 days then off home. I think I managed the second one better than the first, maybe I was aware of what was happening and able to deal with the treatment better, though it did take a while to get up and running due to an infection, caught from a carer in the transplant clinic. Currently my pp’s are undetectable, so I no drugs, no treatment, on a watch and wait. Oh by the way I am 72 years old. Hope all goes well.

Regards

Tony F

janw
    Participant

Hi,

I had my first Sct in August 2010 after four cycles of cyclophosphamide, dexamethasone and thalidomide (Cdt) which gave me a good five years of drug free remission until my first relapse in the autumn of 2015, when I completed 8 cycles of velcade, dexamethasone and cyclophosphamide (Vcd) followed by a second Sct in September 2016.

Similar to Tony’s experience, I also managed the second Sct much easier than the first mainly due to my severe nausea being better controlled both during my chemotherapy treatment prior to the Sct and during the Sct. As Tony stated, I think it also helps when you know what to expect during the process. I was certainly less anxious, better prepared for the side effects and how to deal with recovery process.

Going through two lots of chemotherapy treatment has made me realise that I do tend to suffer from various side effects such as nausea, sleepless nights together with mood swings from the steroids, fatigue and peripheral neuropathy in my feet/legs. Undergoing a second Sct has given me the chance to be drug free again during any remission period gained from the process.

I hope all goes well with your husband’s treatment.

Take care.
    Jan

kitkat1985
    Participant

Hi. My Dad had 2 SCT and actually found the second slightly easier going than the first, although some of this may have been that his general health was a bit better second time around. I would caution though that sadly the remission for him was a lot shorter second time around (less than a year) since as I’m sure you know remission periods tend to get shorter as the illness progresses. Wishing you good luck though. xx

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘2nd SCT’ is closed to new replies.