A 'get rid of these peasents' rant

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  hikernick 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

dickb
    Participant

Yet again we have some semi illiterate, ignorant peasent posting on this website trying to sell fake products. We can't give them a dose of MM and they seem to be able to operate with impunity, so what can we do. Well here's a few suggestions that Mrs B. came up with

1. Maximum length of Subject line. Limit it to a maximum number of characters. 'Fake' has 60 characters in his subject line.

2. No one allowed to post until 24 hours after registering as a new member.

3. Use of certain key words such as 'Fake', 'Buy', 'Sale' are blocked from the Subject line.

We may not be able to stop them but we could make life a lot harder for them.

Just another thought, give Perkymite their address then he could give them some PT, I'm sure that will disuade them.

Unless of course you have another suggestion.

meganjane
    Participant

Hi Richard,

They are very annoying and always wait until the weekend. Stuart from the webteam will remove them all first thing Monday but an idea that was suggested in a previous post on the matter was to bump up non spam entries so people don't see the rubbish on arrival to the site:

http://www.myeloma.org.uk/patient-services/discussion-board/off-topic/spam-on-the-forum/

I am sure if any of your suggestions can be put into practice Stuart will consider them, it would be nice for the forum to stay spam free.

Megan

webteam
    Keymaster

Hi Richard
    I share your irritation with these 'people'. I've cleared all the spam off the forum which is why the front page may be looking a little bare. Whenever I delete a thread the forum doesn't automatically display the next available one. We are looking into a solution as this is becoming more frequent and needs to be stopped. In the meantime if you spot any spam please email me directly through webteam@myeloma.org.uk and I'll remove it asap.

Regards
    Stuart
    Myeloma UK WebTeam

tom
    Participant

Hi Stuart and all

Am not sure if it would help to coppy some of the posts and send them to the Police fraud Squad ?? am sure its not legal to be offering these to the open market?? Just a thought from iccle ole me.

Tom Onwards and Upwards

webteam
    Keymaster

Hi Tom
    I suspect these emails will be created by people in other countries so they are almost impossible to track on an individual basis. By the time we report them they will have created another fake email account and moved on. We need to tackle this problem by blocking messages with suspect content. We are working on a solution, it's just going to take a little time so please bear with us. The last thing we want to do is make the forum so hard to post spam on that it makes the whole experience frustrating for you guys. In the mean time Ellen and I will keep our eyes open and zap them as they happen.

Regards
    Stuart

tom
    Participant

Hi Stuart

Ye I have no problem re the waiting take your time to make it not too hard for slow ones like myself to use the site ha ha.
    Thanks to you all for what you do for us

Tom

hikernick
    Participant

A captcha on the signup form will trap a good proportion of them as they are signed up by bots (automated programs), or by humans from other cultures who don’t necessarily understand the content of the site they’re joining up on. So a question like “What does the first M in MM stand for?” or something along those lines would probably filter most of them out.

HTH

Nick

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘A 'get rid of these peasents' rant’ is closed to new replies.