A month after SCT and in complete remission!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  tallulah55 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

tallulah55
    Participant

Kevin and I are delighted to say that after blood tests last week there is no measurable paraprotein, light chains and the Igs are all at normal levels. We didn’t expect this so soon so it it is something to celebrate! Kevin’s neutrophils are normal, Hb and platelets all at acceptable levels and really he has no residual fatigue and is working from home more or less normal hours.

His gastric tract is still sensitive only to the extent that he does not fancy heavy or spicy foods and is having a varied but slightly more bland than normal diet as his taste is still not quite back to normal. He occasionally gets a wave of nausea and takes a metaclopromide but that’s about it.

His hair started to come out big time the day we came home (Day 18)so after a week he had a v short buzzcut but actually it seems to be growing slightly already. We’re planning a short trip away in a week’s time and are determined to enjoy the summer. Result!

rebeccaR
    Participant

Congratulations, that’s fantastic news. You seem to racing ahead on the recovery front and as for hair – mine just started sprouting 9 weeks after. It’s great to hear posts where fatigue is not an issue as I read it’s often a big thing that lasts for a very long time. I hope you can put it all behind you for a very long time and so glad that it’s been worthwhile.

Rebecca

wifeof
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I’m so glad for you both. You story has given me hope as my husband is about to start the SCT process here’s hoping for an experience like yours.

Have a great break you deserve it.

x

bandityoga
    Participant

Congratulations. Hope you have a long remission

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Both of you

So good to hear a good news tale. Long may it last. While it does wrench as much out of every good day.

Best wishes.

Mavis

tallulah55
    Participant

Thank you for your good wishes Rebecca. I hope Kevin’s progress is hope for others who, like him, were not particularly young or fit at the time of SCT but who have got through the process well with virtually no side effects after just a  month.

We are lucky in that we both work largely at home ( we changed our lives this way after Kevin had kidney cancer nearly 7 years ago)so he is really as normal in terms of working hours which is pretty much full time.

Currently the only evidence of what he has been through is the lack of hair ( although it seems to be growing a bit already) and the daily Zovirax, prophylactic for shingles.

Appetite is nearly back to normal although Kevin still doesn’t like sweet things too much, he says they taste too sweet,but that is good news for an overweight diabetic!

He is much more sanguine and forward thinking than me I think however – I know he won’t spend time worrying unnecessarily about recurrence but I know that I will to some extent. Perhaps though the one plus with this disease is because there are periods of remission and periods of active disease you really do focus on the good things in life when you are well. This has been the case since Kevin first had kidney cancer, you tend to get away from the things in life that are unimportant or stressful as much as you can and focus on the things that really matter – that must be a good thing!

tallulah55
    Participant

Thank you for your good wishes – they do mean a lot even though of course we don’t know each other at all really!

As I have just posted in another reply, at 66, diabetic and not especially fit and with only one kidney, Kevin was perhaps not an ideal candidate for SCT but all tests showed he could get through it, and indeed he has and life is virtually back to normal. I often read the Myleoma Beacon website – there are a lot of good resources on there, especially re SCTs and at the minute someone is posting video news about his experience on a day by day basis which is new.

I also read one of their useful polls about whether or not post SCT patients think they made the right decision to have SCT and 87% did which is very good.

I hope all goes well for your husband – I’m sure me and others will be able to listen to any concerns you have and give you advice from our own experiences if you would like it.

Regards

Nicki

tallulah55
    Participant

Thanks you so much for your good wishes, it really does mean a lot, thank you. Nicki

tallulah55
    Participant

Dear Mavis

Thank you for your reply to my post and for your good wishes, it means a lot to share that thank you. Nicki

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘A month after SCT and in complete remission!’ is closed to new replies.