Afraid that my lifestyle may have caused myeloma

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Vicki 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Harmony
    Participant

Just wondered- has anybody experienced a period of questioning what may have 'caused' their myeloma? I find myself feeling obsessed with the thought that using deodorant/ nail varnish/ perfume/ body moisturiser etc may have led to this. I find myself thinking about all of the pesticides in food. This preoccupation seems to be taking over. I feel concerned if I don't have 3 cups of green tea daily and take selenium. The other day, I felt quite traumatised when I had my nails done and the beauty therapist kept asking to place my hands under a UV lamp. I can't bear to use the microwave and I've stopped my daughter from using deodorant because I feel afraid of all of these things. I know that it probably sounds amusing but I'm scared that I may have done something to cause this disease and I don't want to cause my family any harm by continuing to do the wrong things. I've always been so health conscious but I'm wondering what may have gone wrong.

Carolsymons
    Participant

Nobody could have led a more healthy lifestyle than me. I have sisters who drink and smoke and they don't have cancer however……….blaming yourself will not help. We are all exposed to chemicals daily- in food, the environment etc etc so we cannot avoid them while we live in this modern world. When I was diagnosed in hospital and asked the consultant the "Why me?" question he responded with "Sh## happens!" He knew I was Australian and obviously had watched the old Crocodile Dundee movies! However rather than search for reasons to blame yourself it is much better to concentrate on beating the cancer down and getting on with living life!

However I do wonder if living and working for 18 months in a seriously polluted city in central China (Wuhan) some years ago may have been the toxic environment trigger that started my myeloma. Even so nothing I can do now can change that.

Carol

JandK
    Participant

It doesn't matter…you can't change the past it's waisted energy as you say ,,, and quite rightly I agree use you energy to fight this beast and find peace x

dickb
    Participant

My doctors tell me the 3 most likely groups to have MM are those in agriculture, the chemical industry and the nuclear industry.

Well if you think how much stuff we spray on food, how much radiation was thrown into the atmosphere in the 50's and 60's (not including Chernobyl)and just how many new and wonderful chemicals are used in everyday products then surely we should all be having MM.

It's not worth worrying about, the past has happened, get on with now and tomorrow. Don't waste energy on if's and but's, they've gone. Follow Eve's little strap line about why worry about tomorrow today.

dan4uk
    Participant

Hi, I often wonder about this and I'm sure my lifestyle let this through the net. I've been working with oils and other chemical associated with the motor trade my whole life, I worked irregular shifts and had an extreamly bad diet. I believe I am likely to be genetically exposed to this but my lifestyle gave the perfect storm conditions for the diesease to initiate and progress especailly being age 29 at diagnosis. I must add I don't live like I used to I'm very carfull with my diet and listen very carefully to my body. I never blame myself or have any regrets I just say to myself we are where we are lets go from here.

Johno
    Participant

In the past I have worked in the nuclear industry ( Berkley Power Station ) at the same time as Chenobol happened, the petro chem industry and various other places. Any of these could have been the cause but I will never know. So I just have to look forward to getting rid of it rather than what caused it.
    John

Vicki
    Participant

Hi there

I too was convinced that my Colin had been exposed to radiation. He had shingles then was just getting over it and went somewhere where I think he was exposed. He won’t have it but I’m not sure. However with caution I am the sort that I need a reason for something and I won’t ever make sense of this mm!

Vicki

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Afraid that my lifestyle may have caused myeloma’ is closed to new replies.