bence jones test

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  janw 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

ackibyfobia
    Participant

could anyone tell me how long you have to wait for a bence jones urine test to complete I have been waiting over 6 days,

thanks

Anonymous

I had my test on Wednesday and got the results the following Tuesday

graham-c
    Participant

My own understanding, ackibyfobia, is that the Bence Jones urine test is only relevant in the case of suspected amyloidosis, otherwise the blood test is the gold standard for myeloma investigations for a number of reasons. Having said that I’ve had two 24 hour Bence Jones urine tests and I never did find out what happened to the second one, but I have my suspicions. Taking a 24 hour urine sample into your GP or the hospital invokes a strange look from the recipient. It was even funnier when I asked my GP for a sample bottle as I knew I’d need an awful lot of them for 24 hours. The hospital should have provided a container. I suspect the second sample was disposed of in the sluice and, I wouldn’t have minded if they’d told me, because I’m a stickler for getting results. I also took the second sample into my GP’s where I have my blood tests taken and I later read that the sample must be kept cold which I doubt is not possible for such a large container. That’s another reason why urine samples aren’t regularly used and it’s more expensive too.

You can’t have too many tests but the urine test, I suspect, is just to make quite sure they aren’t missing something and they do it once at the outset along with the blood test. If they’re looking for myeloma then usually they perform a bone marrow biopsy and a skeletal survey.

One single test on its own is not usually definitive one way or another, though it gives you a starting point.

ackibyfobia
    Participant

thanks for that info, I have had 2 blood tests and were both abnormal hence the bence jones test I have  asked the Dr receptionist if the results are back and I was told part of the test was back and it was showing abnormal with a note saying still under investigation it seems to me to be taking a long time and is the test done in 2 parts I don’t seem to be getting anywhere I will try to get some answers after the hols

janw
    Participant

Hi,

From experience, the test can take up to two weeks for the results to be returned to your consultant depending on where the results are analysed in the UK. Usually, both a blood and a urine sample will be tested during the diagnosis of multiple myeloma because some proteins, such as the Bence Jones proteins (free light chains), may not show up in significant quantities in blood samples, while those with only intact immunoglobulins may not have the abnormal protein in urine.

My protein levels in my blood are absolutely normal, however my urine tests indicate abnormal levels of light chains are present and currently rising due to the myeloma becoming more active.

Regards
    Jan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘bence jones test’ is closed to new replies.