Come My Bonnie Boy (Song)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  AMcGuire 12 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

DaiCro
    Participant

Okay… I know we can get depressed enough by our own condition and circumstances, without me adding to the misery… but… :-/

During my B&B in hospital last night I managed a long chat with one of the nurses whose Mum & Dad have moved in with her and she has become their principal carer. Her Dad has early dementia and she was sharing her fear of it becoming full blown…

So, it put me in mind of my song on the subject…. regarding my ex-wife's Grandparent's, of whom this song is about.

Dai.

Although I write across a broad range of genres I am principally a folk singer… so here you are. 🙂

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7347652
    Click on the link for automatic play. 😉

[b]Come My Bonnie Boy

1.[/b]
    She used to sing my waking, like an echo of my dreams
    Whispering a welcome to each day
    Then I found her staring, at the stranger in her bed
    Until I spoke and then she?d smile and say

Chorus:
    Come my bonnie boy, its time for you to rise
    And help me take a walk down memory lane
    I?ve seemed to have lost me marbles, so come my Peter Pan
    Come fly and help me find them once again

[b]2.[/b]
    At first it was all laughter, just the freckles of old age
    For her, out of sight was out of mind
    The stymies of forgetfulness, produced the odd sad smile
    But there?s no turning point that?s underlined

[b]Chorus:[/b]

Like a silk-full spider, half-way through its web
    Small distractions helped to lose her way
    A mind as sharp as needles; that gently made its point
    Has just as gently failed and slipped away

[b]Bridge:[/b]
    I am still her bonnie boy but I can tell no lie
    My love has lost her way to memory lane
    She will never sing my waking, from the echoes of her mind
    And I?d settle just to hear her say again

[b]Chorus:[/b]

BADGER
    Participant

Dia

what a nice song for my birthday on the 14th the bealtes wrote a good one about my age 64

Love Jo x:-) 🙂 😉

AMcGuire
    Participant

Oh Dai, how sad …. I've come over all emotional.

Well you really do know how to pen a good song don't you?! Lovely lyrics, so emotional with so much feeling too. You've touched a nerve with me tonight.:-/

This puts me in mind of John a couple of weeks back – he'd completely lost his marbles and had flown off to Fairyland without me! Oxynorm overdose was to blame – pain was so bad he was taking them every 2 hours along with abstral. He's in the hospice now, has been there for almost 2 weeks now and thankfully they've made a difference and he knows who I am, who he is, who the children are, what year it is and where he is now too!! Oh its been awful … he's been seeing strange things and doing odd things and has no recollection now of any of it. Poor soul. This song is very fitting at the moment … thankfully his confusion is now under control, it must be terribly hard on those living with dementia; it doesn't go away after all.

Sending healing thoughts and love

Your #2 fan 🙂

DaiCro
    Participant

Belated Happy Birthday Jo, I hope you had a good day. I will have to find a happy song now for while I like 'Bonnie Boy' it is hardly celebratory. :-S

Much love and many happy returns. 🙂

Dai xxx

DaiCro
    Participant

Oh Angelina, I am so very, very sorry and deeply saddened to think of John having to suffer such a miserable and disorienting time… never mind the amount of pain he must have felt in order to keep on forcing down the medicine. I am glad for you all that he is recovering and that he has no recollection of his state and behaviours. I hope that he is well enough to come home soon.

Dai. xxx

eve
    Participant

Dai

Love the song ,it,s lovely,glad to here your feeling better after your poo problems:-) ,Its nice to wake up in the morning and read your post brings a smile to my face
    Angelina.have been wondering what was happening with you and John,not a good time for you,glad things are improving,Slim and I laugh about him seeing long legs in riding boots walking on top of the curtains in hospital,still insist they seemed so real.
    Jo happy birthday [belated]
    eve

BADGER
    Participant

Thank you Dia and Eve

for my birthday wishes. Dia i Will look forward to a happy birthday song

Love from Jo xxx

BADGER
    Participant

Angelinax

Nice to hear from you I am glad John is feeling much better perhaps you will be able to get him home soon and back on track

Lots of love Jo 🙂 😉

AMcGuire
    Participant

Oh Eve, you've made me chuckle thinking of poor Slims "vision" in cowboy boots! 😀 Thank you for the reminder, and also thank you for thinking of us.

Heavens, what a time we've had here at home. I can't tell you how relieved I was when we got told there was a bed at the hospice for John – isn't that awful being so happy to send him away?!

After he was discharged from hospital last month his bone pain got increasingly worse … doctors increased his fentanyl patch twice and allowed him to take breakthrough medication every 2 hours (Oxynorm and Abstral). Johns kidneys don't work great so instead of flushing out the drugs they were building up in his system making him terribly toxic. He was twitching, shouting out, blethering a whole lot of rubbish and becoming increasingly unpredictable – yet totally unaware of it all. It was frightening for our daughters – Teagan is just 5 and Erin is 10. The doctor was out at the house every day for a week and wanted to admit him but the stubborn so-and-so said no!! The GP told him that he (John) was an adult and can make his own decisions but staying at home could ultimately lead to his death! – well John STILL said no! I should also add that when questioned John thought it was 1921! Totally in fairyland, not a clue and rambling about weird stuff, yet the GP still left him at home. What a time I had, and was so disappointed in the GP leaving me to pick up the pieces. John got angry after the GP left saying I was making everything up – he was even referring to me as the name of his first wife!! grrrrrr

Anyhow, John has been in the hospice for almost 2 weeks, safe and sound. They had him in for pain management which has worked a treat … both his pain is under control and the toxicity has gone too so no twitching, shouting or weird ramblings either …. I have indeed got my husband back – yay! The diahhorea from the Velcade still continues unfortunately, but you can't win them all.

Sending lots of healing thoughts in the direction of Slim, what a time he is having …. and poor you – its often the carer who does all the worrying, we're the integral cog that keeps everyone else turning.

Sending love your way
    Bless you both
    Angelina xx

AMcGuire
    Participant

Bless you Jo.

And a belated Happy Birthday to you too:-D Hope you had a fun-filled day.

I'm doing lots of decorating around the house whilst John is away. Lots of deliveries too of disability aids for him – the stairlift should go in next week I believe. Busy busy …. but such fun!!

Sending healing thoughts and love too
    Angelina xx

BADGER
    Participant

Hello Eve

How is slim doing now is he feeling any better and putting on weigh and back on the treatment it a shame we have had such bad weather because a drop of sunshine would probably do him good
    Love Jo x

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Come My Bonnie Boy (Song)’ is closed to new replies.