Cough post SCT

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Mothas 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Mothas
    Participant

Hi people, just coming to the end of my second week back at home, still tired and getting the odd bout of nausea.

Last week I started developing a dry cough bringing up clear phlegm in the morning, and was getting a runny nose (also clear). I was given antibiotics which I haven't finished yet but wonder if anyone else has experienced anything similar?

PeterJames
    Participant

Hi Tom
    I got the same cough, Christies told me it was the Mathalan cough , quite common ,
    But it took me some months to get rid of it , tried many remedies but non worked
    My very dry mouth also did not help , also kept me off solid foods for some weeks
    In turn my coughing led me to retch up phlegm , never food, so I took to carrying my " retch kit " around with me , a bag with cardboard bowls & tissues.
    Now just six months since my escape , feel as well as the proverbial butchers dog
    No discernible pp in my bloods
    Also just glad to find out the lesions In my left hip which i have been having Zometa for , don't exist , just a knackered hip due to wear & tear
    I would much rather have this than Myeloma damage , so all my bones are clear
    So now off to see a new hip man !
    I hope you keep up with a good & quick recovery
    All the best
    Peter

Mothas
    Participant

Peter thanks that's very helpful. Sounds like you had it pretty bad. I'm not retching up anything but I do have to do an awful amount of clearing of the clear snot and phlegm at different times of the day, and the dry cough isn't much fun….

adamsp41
    Participant

Hi Tom…I too suffered from a cough post SCT ..lasted 4 months and eventually cleared up on it's own…consultant and GP were not really concerned about it after I had undergone scans and heart tests which were all clear…see my previous post
    Hope it clears up quickly…stay safe…Phil

http://www.myeloma.org.uk/patient-services/discussion-board/general/its-not-the-cough-etc-etc/re-its-not-the-cough-etc-etc6/re-its-not-the-cough-etc-etc1/re-its-not-the-cough-etc-etc/re-its-not-the-cough-etc-etc/re-its-not-the-cough-etc-etc1/re-its-not-the-cough-etc-etc/re-its-not-the-cough-etc-etc/

scott9
    Participant

Hi Tom,

I have followed your progress with great interest. Really happy to see you are not doing too bad now. I guess you can live with the cough. I'll start my post today as I go into Kings tomorrow for the next few weeks. I wish they would find an easier way for us to keep going!!!!

All the best

Scott

Mothas
    Participant

Scott best of luck, take it a day at a time and you'll get through it.

Mothas
    Participant

Thanks Adam hopefully it'll clear up soon.

tom
    Participant

Hi Tom

Well I used to smoke, stopped three weeks before I went in for SCT 2009 and have had the Cough just after SCT still have it on and off and still get phlegm kicked out as and when I cough, been and had anti B tabs chest X-rays all clear they say ??.

I will cope with the cough I tell the wife it's my attention cough he he.

All the best with it Tom your doing great.

Old Tom Onwards and upwards

Vicki
    Participant

Hey Tom

Glad you are doing ok…well done, I think Colin had a cough too but it's gone now. He did have a very dry throat and there was like a dry patch on it, or so he thought. It seems to have cleared now though.

Vicki and Colin x

Mothas
    Participant

@tom and Vicki and Colin

Feeling better the last couple of days, cough definitely on the mend but you never know with these things. Amazingly perhaps the antibiotics actually worked 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cough post SCT’ is closed to new replies.