Diet & nutrition for cancer patients…a neglected topic – is it neglected at your hospital?.

This topic contains 26 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  daisychain 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

daisychain
    Participant

Hi Michele

Yes I'm all for blueberries 1st I knew about rhubarb so that's now on my shopping list!

I agree about going into war if your happy to go into war with treatment then my view then why wouldn't i want to use diet exercise stress buster activities thoughts etc as part of my armour.

With best wishes to you and your husband

Dawn x

daisychain
    Participant

Hi dick

What a great blog my sentiments exactly!!!

For me whatever I do today and the next day is that I feel that i have some control in living with mm and physiologically that's a positive step

Dawn xxx

daisychain
    Participant

Hi John

Re alkaline Not researched fully

You might want to take a look at the following:

http://margaret.healthblogs.org/tag/alkaline-water/

http://theconsciouslife.com/anti-inflammation-resources

http://theconsciouslife.com/anti-inflammatory-diet-how-to-balance-omega-3-omega-6-fats.htm

And the celebs seem to be raving about this nutrition and her book

Also it would appear a lot of chefs seem to go on about over cooking veg – so I've now got a steamer – in the main because my husband cooks them to the point they are practically mush!!!!

http://honestlyhealthyfood.com/book/

Dawn x

daisychain
    Participant

Oh I forgot to mention that I recently read

The Fast Diet: The Secret of Intermittent Fasting – Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, Live Longer [Paperback] dr Michael Mosley – as part. My food research and because i am overweight !! I'm not going down 5:2 but as i am a " food grazer" i was very interested in the concept of allowing my body to rest from food for a few hours to enable my cells to regenerate!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1780721676/ref=nosim?tag=wwwthefastdie-21

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/

Im not n the fortunate position to be medically trained nor did I do biology at school!!! so I''ve been trying to put some science around what I'm reading!!! Also re the recent " Francis report"

http://www.nhsemployers.org/The-Francis-Inquiry/Pages/Francis.aspx#1

i am interested in reading what myeloma UK is suggesting to our myeloma medical teams about patient care etc. to help me with this.

I did ask myeloma UK if I could have access to th HCP Resources web pages see beko to help me with this unfortunately at the moment they said that they are not in a position to do this for me yet.

http://www.myeloma-academy.org.

"The need for myeloma-related education has never been so important

The Myeloma Academy focuses on the ‘what you need to know’ information critical to the delivery of a high standard of treatment and care in a modern, challenging NHS and Primary Care environment."

Dawn x

daisychain
    Participant

Hi eve

I've never really cast myself as "high risk" !

I just try to focus on seeing myself as someone whose mm is individual who continues to struggle with being told and dealing with the psychological impact of finding out that at time of diagnosis in 2006 aged of 45 with young children, that life expectancy was 3/ 5 years, no cure! and having at least 3 different treatment options before i could have a stem cell transplant that kept my mm in cr for fir 4 years!

and that a couple of years ago my husband an i was told that the immediate future was grim because I'd run out of treatment options and having to tell my kids ad family which was quite harrowing.!!!

Fortunately I went for a second opinion and met with professor Gareth Morgan at the royal marsden Sutton. He gave me dt oace and another stem cell in feb 2012.

He still keeping me going fortunately i took out private bs before being diagnosed ith mm and therefore been fortunate that the prof can access drugs not available on nhs. Which is what I am in currently because back in nov my free lite chains started rising . Touch wood no other symptom so still managing to live a fairly healthy and happy life.

I suppose maybe diet has never been mentioned as the medical teams have been focusing on the technical side and keeping my mm under control and my emotional side which was terrible in the early days!!! Hence all my self help reading.

Also I am under the royal free hospital amyloidosis research centre because I ad a plasma tumour with amyloid.

Dawn x

eve
    Participant

Hi Dawn

Well I was wondering were you were!!! ,first may I say Dawn,thanks for your reply,

I do not think food nutrition ,is any thing to do with intelligence or lack of money,far from it,it's practicality,growing up with a mum in the kitchen,cooking meals for a family,common sense,but there again,I am just a little grey haired lady.
    All this time reading up on food for Cancers,sorry Dawn I have better things to do with my life while Slim is still alive,but I am a great believer in. ". What ever floats your boat. "

As for how long to live,we do not ask because I believe when the time gets nearer,the people dying are often ready,so die peacefully,it's not a big thing to us,but my attitude has all ways been who wants to live until there 80 the person who is 79 !!!!!
    So age is not a factor,except for all the things you will miss,for us it's travel and grandchildren.

I sincerely hope you stop reading about living and just get on with the job of living,but as I said what ever floats your boat,I would hate to think,any opinion ,changed a persons life concerning cancer,but that's an individual thought.Eve

bandityoga
    Participant

Tracey

I give my husband Ian blueberries and manuka honey which is good for the immune system. He has been in hospital for one year and for the past 7 months I have taken him dinner. We have always ate healthily but are cutting down on red meat. Ian is now walking more on the zimmer and he thinks he will be able to walk without aid in the future.

I do no know if what you eat affects the cancer but we try.

Maureen

admin
    Keymaster

Hi Eve

Apologies if i have got the wrong end of the stick. but you seem to be implying that as someone younger, I exist on ready meals and packets and am unaware of good nutrition. In fact, I base many of my meals on a 'traditional meat and two veg' and like you, cook most meals from scratch. I also ensure that we get our quota of vegetables and fruit every day. I don't need a booklet to tell me this. When I said that my daughter would eat better than I did, I meant it in the context of trying, where possible to eat more organically, where cost allows us to. Additionally, I do not allow her to drink fizzy drinks and certainly not 'diet' drinks. I grew up in the 70s and 80s. We ate well as a family ie. meals cooked from scratch. However, it was also the era where the 'diet and exercise' industry boomed. It was all about eating 'low fat meals'' and there were low calorie replacements to do this. Diet drinks, artificial sweetners, low fat food options became commonplace. As a young girl with a propensity to enjoy food a little too much, I began to rely on these to help control my weight. However, aspartame is evil and addictive. At work, I relied on diet coke to get me through the day in the way that others used coffee and tea. Many low calorie options today use aspartame. For example, low calorie 'no added sugar' squash. I do not buy these. Low fat options simply include more sugars and chemicals. I now buy full fat versions and use sparingly, for example, butter. This is what I meant in ensuring my daughter eats better than I did.

admin
    Keymaster

Many thanks for the links Dawn – I will certainly have a good look at these. I am familiar with Ben Goldacre, but haven't read anything of his. Now, if only we had a separate area to store all these useful links…….;-)

I did try the Budwig diet 'muesli', but decided it wasn't for me. Whilst on the face of it, it tasted fine, I couldn't get past the fact that I had just churned up a load of oil with cottage cheese and that in itself made me feel quite nauseous – bleuurrgh!!

Best wishes

Tx

admin
    Keymaster

Hi Maureen

I have been mixing a huge heap of blueberries into gluten free porridge – it is delicious! I also take manuka honey, particularly if I'm feeling a bit run down. One thing that does concern me and I think that 'young' Tom may have alluded to this previously, is the potential danger for myeloma patients to over stimulatie the immune system by the use of supplements. However, you would have thought that simply eating foods, rather than taking pills and capsules, there shouldn't be a problem.

Best wishes
    Tx

eve
    Participant

Hi Tracy

I think you should go back to your very first posting on this site which I replied to!!!,
    I do tend to be blunt,just me,it is in no way personal,but the fact is fizzy drinks,in great quantity,processed food,has lots of sugar ans do not get e started on E supplements,what I was stating was a generation gap,for my lack of knowledge a lot of cancers could be caused by junk food,truthfully,I do not know.!!!
    I leave the science to the experts,but as a mother myself,I have all ways known how important good food is.i think possible in my day,the temptations for children was not there. Things move on,now they have machines in schools to tempt children to eat ,everyday things that should be eaten in moderation.
    I opened a tin of Heinz Tomato soup,for quickness the other day,and found it awfull so sweet,had to go down the sink,looked at the tin and the sugar in it was ridiculous ,if young children today are eating that crap,there taste buds will be so use to sugar,there diet will change there eating habits..
    But what would I know,grey haired lady springs to mind.Eve

daisychain
    Participant

Hi eve

Many thanks for your feedback. I do try to moderate my reading for me research / reading up on mm gives me a feeling that I have some control this gas always been the case in what ever I do career, moving hose etc its my personality trait. However, I do agree with you about getting on with the job of living. And I've certainly been doing that.

One tip I would give to other readers of this blog is sometimes I become obsessed with researching / reading which is not healthy because it will lower my mood, typically this would be when I'm feeling anxious about treatment not working.. but over the years I have learnt to recognise when this happening and back off. It seems to work. Best time to research for me is when I'm feeling upbeat.

Dawn x

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Diet & nutrition for cancer patients…a neglected topic – is it neglected at your hospital?.’ is closed to new replies.