Dry tongue and mouth

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  TinaP 11 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

TinaP
    Participant

Hi,
    I am 13 weeks post SCT, but I am still suffering with a dry mouth and tongue. I keep a glass of water to hand, as when I am very dry, my husband has difficulty undestanding me!

My appetite is not good and I stick to moist foods.

If anyone else has had the same problem, perhaps you could offer some advice.

Plus I am so tired all the time and have to go and lie down every aftenoon for a sleep.

Thanks

Tina

tom
    Participant

Hi Tina
    13 weeks is not that long to be fair I am oh lord knows how many months post I am and thirst is a Devil for me. And as for the sleep I also have a nap in afternoon.
    It just takes time Tina.

Love Tom Onwards and Upwards xx

eve
    Participant

Hi Tina

Would agree with Tom,you have along way to go,Slim has the same problem,try sucking sweets helps with moisture ,Slim is getting a bit better,but sometimes he goes to speak,and because his mouth is so dry,he does not make sense.Always carries drinks with him no matter were we go.Eve

Eva
    Participant

Dear Tina,
    Hi – this is Eva. I've been thirsty whenever I'm on treatment as well as for many months after transplant. It's almost as if the body wants us to flush out all those poisons we've been ingesting….
    When I go to bed I have three large glasses of water nearby and if I wake in the middle of the night to go to the loo I always make sure I have a drink even if I'm half asleep.
    I use a lip salve all the time and also you can buy sterile eye drops for dry eyes. They are called 'Viscotears Liquid Gel' and you can get them from opticians.

SueM
    Participant

It will improve the Melphalans affect last a while .
    Sleep when you need to ,your body is weak just make sure you walk about everyso often to prevent clots and ch infection etc.

Im a wimp and still 7months after sct I need to sleep in day most days or just rest especially after a busy day and when i sleep im deep deep sleeping like body really needed it.

For first 4-5 months i think it was like i had an internal timer 2 hours up then eyes heavy and just had to return to bed,very frustrating but asct does take a massive toll on the body.

If your eyes are also dry? then may be related to sjorgrens syndrome,mine hasnt been as happy since transplant and im having tiny flairs of what was controlled rheumatoid arthritis.

Just keep sipping ,i wonder if aloe vera juice watered down my help mouth restore faster?

I was told that even with tiny meals i ate try to get bits of protein in ie eggs are good to help the body recover after its poisoning

feel better soon
    Sue

TinaP
    Participant

Thanks Sue.

I have to go for a sleep every afternoon at 3.00 and my husband (John) brings me a coffee up around 6.30 – 6.45. Then I can stay up and watch tv till about 9.30pm.

I'm glad to hear that some else sleeps too.

Thank you Sue.

Tina

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Dry tongue and mouth’ is closed to new replies.