Got on the forum at last!!!

This topic contains 22 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  tom 12 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Perkymite
    Participant

Hi Sandy, I am from Somerset so regret I cannot help you with your Hospital.

I had my SCT in early December. My local hospital seems to treat SCT differently to the others. I was kept in for a full 3 weeks after the procedure and just got out in time for Christmas. And, again, the facilities were different, mine was first class. I had a private ward with en-suite, fridge, TV, toaster the works. Breakfast was served in china not plastic and I had a tea pot for tea not out of an urn. All in all a superb experience, no I wasn?t private good old NHS.

I did not suck ice cubes etc… and I did get a soarish throat, but not too bad. I mentioned to my Consultant about sucking Ice Cubes and he was not for it, not against it either but his opinion was that you were having SCT to kill the cancer cells. His ?opinion? was that by sucking ice cubes you were stopping the Melphlan from getting at the cancer cells in your mouth and throat area. As he said it is just an opinion nothing proved or otherwise.

I wish you the very best of luck and look forward to hearing from you when you have had your SCT.

Kindest regards ? vasbyte

David

sandydeli
    Participant

Hi Deb's i was just wondering how your feeling a month later???Is it true you'v to be carefull about infection still??? Sandra.

Debs
    Participant

Hi Sandra,
    I was told to be very careful and spent the first few weeks adhering to that advice. But with 2 young kiddies, I can't avoid being out and about, so I have to say, I haven't been so careful since. I go shopping at the normal times etc. I sort of forget that I am ill still and that my levels are low!!! I should probably be more careful than I am.
    But I do make sure that people who are ill don't come near me now…to be honest, I think that will continue for good….I can't avoid sniffles, but anything more serious, I would ask people to stay away as our immunity is compromised for life.
    All in all I am pretty good 2 months post transplant. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! I still need rest and sleep for an extra couple of hours most days……I have to get up at 7.30 for the school run, but normally fit a sleep in after that. And the docs say that is normal for the first 3 months.
    If I'm honest the first month at home was hard as I wanted to be doing so much more than I could do. But now I have learnt to compare how I am now to how I was 2 weeks earlier…by doing that I realise that whilst I still can't do everything, I am improving day by day.
    If you want the nitty gritty of how it all went for me, I wrote a blog (and still do!) at http://www.debsjourneywithmyeloma.wordpress.com. But it really does give the bad as well as the good. If you do read it, PLEASE remember that now I feel good and that sometimes you have to go through the pain to get the gain (cliche I know!).
    You'll be fine and once you're out the other end, hopefully you will have years of MM remission to look forward to 🙂
    Take care and feel free to contact me if you want any info!
    Debs x

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi sandy

Hope all goes well with the SCT!

All best wishes.

Mavis

Elizellen
    Participant

Wishing you an uneventful procedure, Sandy!!

Will you be able to get online when you are in hospital? I found it really helped in the wee small hours to be able to be in contact with cyberfriends.

Elizabeth
    XX
    X

sandydeli
    Participant

Hi everyone i'm home from hospital after 13 day's !!!! Feel tired but soooo glad to be in my own big bed!!!It was'nt as bad as i thought it would be still got the run's and got some horiable fizzy tablets to take yuck!!!
    Off back to Carlisle hospital tomorrow for blood samples. Does any one know how long i should keep clear of people e.c.t ??? Thanks Sandra.

Helen
    Participant

hi sandy
    Hope your stay in frh was ok, I was there a few weeks ahead of you, I'm still steering clear of crowds and people with overt illness but have been to town and done the shopping regularly since week 5. Went to a few restaurants and pubs when i went away this last weekend. I asked at the hosp last week they said my bloods were all ok now and just be sensible.
    Hope this helps
    Helen

tom
    Participant

Hi Sandra

A warm welcome home I have to say you done well out on day 13 😀 If i remember correctly i was out on day 16:-/ I think lol.

Good Luck with your forthcomming recovery, and dont forget one day at a time and when you need to sleep sleep 😎

Love
    Tom "Onwards and Upwards" xx

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Got on the forum at last!!!’ is closed to new replies.