Has any one been on EPO

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  BADGER 11 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

BADGER
    Participant

Hi Everyone

Has any one here been on EPO because of the aneamia caused by poor renal function the consultant has decided to put me on it as my bloods are usually about 9.5 so this should boost me (good job I am not going in for the tour de France!!!)
    Keep well everyone
    Love Jo x

annd
    Participant

Hi Jo
    I was diagnosed 5 years ago via kidney failure and was on an Aranesp injection every week for three years then once a fortnight for a year.
    My haemoglobin became 12.5 so the renal consultant stopped the injections.

I managed the injection myself and there was an excellent delivery service,
    the stuff is kept in the fridge and brought out 30 minutes before use.
    No noticable side effects.
    Regards Ann

tom
    Participant

Aww bless Jo I hope it works and with not too many side effects 🙂

Love iccle ole me xxx;-)

BADGER
    Participant

hi Ann
    thanks for the reply they gave me a demo and it all looked straight forward it seems it can only be delivered to the house i dont know if it is expensive or not i hope it works better for me than keep having transfusions
    love jo

Helen
    Participant

Hi Jo
    No idea about this subject really but the cost is dependant on what drug is used and how much you have, for example,
    Aranesp is about £15 per 10mcg, up to £735 per 500mcg injection. I'm not familiar with these drugs but can look them up in the magic book at work if it's of interest. Good luck with it, if it works it has to be better than trashing into the hospital every so often.
    Love Helen

scott9
    Participant

Hi Jo

I've been on EPO for a while now. I started with three injections a week then it was reduced to two per week and now I'm just on one per week. It's a million times better than having to go to hospital all the time for blood transfusions. I was a bit worried that I would find it difficult but it's actually pretty easy. I bang the needle into my leg as I didn't fancy it going into my stomach. I give the leg a bit of a slap, squeeze it a bit, stick it in and slowly press the plunger. If I can do it so can you, no bother.

Good luck.

Scott

ali49
    Participant

Hi Jo,
    I've been on epo for over a year and once you get used to giving yourself injections it's not a bother at all. The company that arranges the deliveries is Fresenius Medical Care and they are very organised. I have mine delivered to my place of work and they are packaaged in a cool box to keep them at the right temperature. They also arrange for someone to come and take your blood regularly so that your Hb doesn't get too high. (If it does they contact your Dr to change the dose.)
    It's great, if you've been struggling with anaemia, to get some energy back!
    Love Alison

BADGER
    Participant

Thank you Ann Tom Alison Scott and Helen
    for your replys it sounds quite easy so hopefully I will get on with it
    I go to clinic every month so they will not need to blood check me it will done on each clinic visit

Love Jo x

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Has any one been on EPO’ is closed to new replies.