High dose chemo or not with renal failure. Any advice?

This topic contains 20 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  scott9 12 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

scott9
    Participant

You are telling me, it's a lot of pills, plus they are not small. I do feel sick from time to time but I put it down to reduced kidney function and the revlimid. I don't usually actually get sick so not too bad, although I did get sick driving home the other day. Not easy getting sick while driving! Maybe I had overdone things as I'd been up the driving range and hit a couple of buckets of balls. Mind you I'd rather overdo things than sit at home doing not a lot. Just had a lovely round of golf today. Good weather and good company, what can be better on a sunny day like today.

I'm not sure I would go for the SCT even if I was younger (I'm 58 now), but each to their own on that one.

All the best

Scott

BADGER
    Participant

hi Scott

glad you are enjoying the golf Geoff and I walk a lot we usually do three miles every day but we go on a longer walk once a week yesterday we walked five miles its lovely to be outside in the good weather I agree with MacMillan I am sure exercise aids recovery:-) I think the sick feelings are due to the sodium bicarbonate we are both on a high dose with yours being the most it must have an effect on the stomach
    Keep well
    Love Jo x;-)

ali49
    Participant

Hi Jo and Scott

Thanks for replying to my post. Jo I hope you really enjoyed your holiday; I?ve just come back from a week in Guernsey where the sun shone for most of the time!8-)

Joining in with the discussion on meds, I take 4g of sodium bicarbonate a day which has reduced my potassium to normal levels. I also was having epo injections weekly but my Hb crept up to 14 so that has been put on hold for a while. The Dr seems reluctant to start me on any ?bone food?, I think due to possible kidney complications.

If I choose not to have the SCT, which is my ?gut feeling? at present, (I agree with you Jo I don?t want to go back on dialysis if I can avoid it) will I be put on some kind of maintenance therapy?

Scott, have a lovely holiday in Spain:-D

Alison

BADGER
    Participant

Hello Ali

my renal Doc seems to want to keep me on the high dose of sodium bicarb
    so I will have to keep rattling for now as for the bone food they put me on a low dose of premidrinate just 30mgs once a month I dont seem to have any problems withit. We had a good holiday in Scotland with only two days rain in two weeks8-)glad you had a good time in Guernsey Keep well
    Love Jo x

BADGER
    Participant

Hello Scott

just to mention there is a really interesting article on the web look up Sodium bicarbonate and cancer treatment it a good read
    Regards Jo

scott9
    Participant

Hi Alison and Jo

Alison: if you don't have the SCT you will more than likely have maintenance therapy. Mine is going fine so don't worry about that too much. I'm on just three Revlimid pills per week. They make you a bit drowsy so I take them before going to bed at night. I'm fine then next day. I'm back playing golf so getting some normality back in my life. The PN in my feet gets pretty sore after 4.5 hours walking though. My golf chums tell me I walk like I've wet myself at that stage. Mainly because I can't feel my feet properly. I'd rather that than sit at home though. One of my ribs feels like it may be cracked so that's been pretty sore too the last few weeks. Especially when I try to whack the ball too hard. However I read about other peoples' problems – especially Debs. She has terrible pain with PN so I don't complain. My goodness whenever I start to feel sorry for myself I think about others on this forum and what they have gone through.

Jo: in my view there is no doubt at all. Exercise must be helpful. You have just the right balance. Walking is probably the best medicine. When we go to Spain on Tuesday, that is exactly what we will aim to do every day.

Thatnks ever so much for mentioning about the article. I'll have a look at it shortly.

All the best to you both

Scott

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘High dose chemo or not with renal failure. Any advice?’ is closed to new replies.