High doses of antioxidants are not recommended whilst a patient is on chemotherapy as they may stop the chemotherapy from working so well

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  rebeccaR 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

daisychain
    Participant

I am currently being treated at the Royal Marsden Sutton under Professor Gareth Morgan. Currently on Pomalidomide, PredMeth and Cyclophos (as aspirin)

Over the years i've noticed there's been a lot of hype/discussions about the benefits of taking Curcumin supplement as an aniti-cancer drug(especially on Margerets Blog) and was keen to introduce this into my diet. So I asked the Marsden if it was ok to take Curcumin whilst on my treatment.

I thought I would share the feedback with you – I was particulary shocked to read that "High doses of antioxidants are not recommended whilst a patient is on chemotherapy as they may stop the chemotherapy from working so well" ! this was news to me!

Have you been given similar advice?

Feedback from Marsden
    · Preliminary research suggests that curcumin might have antioxidant and immunostimulatory effects.(1)

· High doses of antioxidants are not recommended whilst a patient is on chemotherapy as they may stop the chemotherapy from working so well.(2)

· Curcumin has antiplatelet properties, therefore in may not be appropriate if the patient has a low platelet count and is taking aspirin.(1)

· One database stated that dietary turmeric (curcumin) inhibits cyclophosphamide- induced tumour regression in animal studies.(3)

· Not recommended that a patient takes a curcumin supplement whilst on chemotherapy.

References.

1. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database accessed via http://www.naturaldatabase.com [accessed 25.7.13]

2. RMH Patient Information Leaflet – Vitamin and mineral dietary supplements (available via the intranet)

3. Memorial Sloan Kettering – About Herbs accessed via http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/11570.cfm [accessed 25.7.13]

Mothas
    Participant

I was advised to stop all supplements whilst on treatment and to avoid taking them for a 6 month period post treatment too. Green tea is to be avoided completely if you are having Velcade.

Tom

rebeccaR
    Participant

Hi, thanks for that, I was just about to start the supplement route but think I will stick to doing it by diet alone now and juicing – my attitude to supplements was they cant hurt so why not but perhaps just diet is better.
    Rebecca

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘High doses of antioxidants are not recommended whilst a patient is on chemotherapy as they may stop the chemotherapy from working so well’ is closed to new replies.