Insurance Problems

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Izzie 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Izzie
    Participant

Hi everyone – not been on the website for some time. Was diagnosed in April 2013 and had a successful stem cell the following year. So far so good – however I have a low blood count in respect of white and red cells – normal for us I know. Have previously has holiday insurance with ‘Now I Can Travel’ who were quite competative – have booked a cruise on the strength that they will insure me – however they have said that my platelets which stand at 139 this month are too low – anyone have any ideas – perhaps if someone has travelled recently they may know an insurance company.

Quite disappointed – thought I could go abroad while I am relatively well – anyone’s help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Lizzie

janw
    Participant

Hi Lizzie

There have been quite a few articles in the press over the summer months about how travel insurance companies are making it more difficult and costly for cancer patients to find suitable cover for their holidays, even when some cancer patients have been in remission for long periods.

I certainly had more difficultly this year finding suitable cover than previous years. Some of the online travel insurance medical questionnaires for myeloma appear to have recently changed and although I am currently not on any chemotherapy following my second stem cell transplant last September, because I take Tramadol and Fentanyl patches for pain relief due to collapsed vertebra from 2010, then this has resulted in some insurance companies not willing to provide cover. Other companies have offered me travel insurance, but excluded any myeloma related issues.

I’ve just booked with Fit2Travel for a 2 week holiday to Ibiza in September. My husband also has some health issues with irregular heartbeat and asthma, therefore our costs were slightly increased to cover the two of us at 230 pounds. I also looked at quotes with Saga, Insure With and Staysure which might be possibilities for you to consider. The cancer MacMillan website also recommends contacting the British Insurance Broker’s Association (BIBA) on 0370 950 1790 for the help of a qualified and regulated insurance broker.

I hope you manage to find suitable myeloma insurance cover for your cruise.

Regards
    Jan

Izzie
    Participant

Hi Jan – thanks for your reply. I have also noticed that some of the questions are a little bit more probing – I have used ‘Now I can Travel’ for my last few holidays and they were very competitive. Even got an annual policy to cover the states and a cruise in the Caribean last October so I was rather complacent this year and on the strength of it booked another cruise – but am having major problems. They said my white blood count was too low – so when it increased I rung them again – but the they said my platelets were too low at 139!!

Yesterday was just a phone day sat ringing around – most people wouldn’t quote even though they advertised themselves as providing cover for cancer and more serious illnesses. When I did manage to get a figure they were around the £1000 mark – which is beyond the pale!! I have looked at the Macmillan website and there are a few options to have a look at – but will have to wait while after the weekend. I feel relatively well at the moment but I am in a clinical trial so I do take chemo orally along with other things. Once again thankyou for your reply and if I get any joy will let you know – have a good weekend!!

Lizzie

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Insurance Problems’ is closed to new replies.