Is anyone working with myeloma? How supportive has your employer been?

This topic contains 21 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Willisboy 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

dickb
    Participant

Employment in the UK whilst very well protected compared to other countries is still insecure. The rights of the employee are being erroded again and being on long term sick makes an employee a natural target, especially in a depressed economy. I have no doubt that if I still lived and worked in the UK my employers would have got rid of me very quickly. If I had stayed I would have only had a maximum of 4 weeks enhanced sick pay and then the remainder on SSP. My previous employer would have given me up to 6 months.

However, here in Germany, because I left my job to live here with my wife – she had found work here at a far higher renumeration than we could have hoped for in the UK – and I was diagnosed before I could find work here, I get nothing. Nothing from the UK in the way of jobseekers allowance or disability benefit and nothing from Germany because I have not contributed to the system.

As someone said previously, once you have this illness, expect all your savings to go because you will not work for a very long time, if ever.

Now back to employment in the UK. We have to remember that companies are not charities, the private sector is there to create wealth for the investors. The public sector is accountable to the tax payer and the government is doing everything to reduce costs at the moment. It is a very lucky employee from what ever position in the hierarchy to have an employer that keeps them on. Before anyone thanking their good fortune, they need to wait until everything is overand they are back in full tiome work.

'It's not over until the fat Lady sings'

Mothas
    Participant

I would like to draw people's attention to these excellent guides by macmillan

[b]Legislation the equality act and cancer:[/b]

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Documents/GetInvolved/Campaigns/Campaigns/Working_through_cancer/WorkingThroughCancer2010/EqualityAct2010.pdf

Work it out: the essential questions to ask for staff
    http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Documents/GetInvolved/Campaigns/WorkingThroughCancer/WorkItOut/WorkItOut.pdf

You are legally protected under the equality act and your employer has to behave reasonably to you.

In addition there is a whole section on the Macmillan site about work related issues. Very useful.

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Livingwithandaftercancer/Workandcancer/Supportforemployees/Workcancer/Workcancer.aspx

sessakelly
    Participant

Thankfully we have legislation like this. However private sector employers are generally very canny and do not make you redundant on basis of your illness., making it very hard to make a case. In fact cases like these are like hens teeth.

sessakelly
    Participant

Thankfully we have legislation like this. However private sector employers are generally very canny and do not make you redundant on basis of your illness., making it very hard to make a case. In fact cases like these are like hens teeth.

Lorna
    Participant

Hi all.

The one scenario no one has mentioned is self employment. Mike was self employed when diagnosed, working as a relief salesman to cover holidays and sick leave. There was no way he could continue once his Velcade treatment started as obviously who would give him a contract when he was at the hospital 2 mornings a week for bloods followed by 2 afternoons for the Velcade plus consultant's appointments. For him there was no sick pay, no early retirement, just the hard pressed welfare system.

Lorna

daisychain
    Participant

Hi All

Its great having all this legislation Equality Act and best practice from ACAS, MacMillan etc; and yes we very often forget about the people who are self employed, whilst we are trying to remain employed with our existing employer.

Should you find yourself in a position where you need to discuss reasonable adjustments or "leaving" the company and things get a bit difficult for you to manage. It may worth considering getting someone to accompany you at the meetings who is experienced in this field ie staff rep/TU, who can take the pressure off you and be able to look at things objectively

good luck to you all

PS found a really good book that's helped me look at my job/career differently "Women, Work and Autoimmune Disease" by Rosalind Joffe and Joan Friendlander

"is a book for women (sorry guys!!) who live with chronic illness, encourgaing them to stay employed to preserve their independance and sense of self"

Willisboy
    Participant

Everyone,

I have not been working since I was diagnosed back in March.

I am lucky because my employer has been supporting me. The company continued to pay me until September, when my SSP also ran out.

He has kept my job for me. I wrote to him recently to say that I would not be able to do anything physical, especially heavy physical work and lifting.
    My neurologist told me that. My job is physical.

I spoke to my manager on the phone. He has still kept my job for me, he understands the situation and has told me not to worry at all.
    He says that when I am ready to return to work, we will sit down and discuss it and see what we can do.

I am grateful that my manager has been so good with me.

God bless you

Graham

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Is anyone working with myeloma? How supportive has your employer been?’ is closed to new replies.