Joining you all at last

This topic contains 9 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  jmsmyth 12 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

jezeph
    Participant

I have just joined the Forum although I should have done so a long time ago.

I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma at the age of 62 in July 2008 and started CDT immediately for five cycles before I was harvested and given a HDT-ASCT in January 2009 at University College London Hospital. Although I?ve had a few problems with a skin condition since the transplant, within six months I was feeling my old self again and have continued to get stronger since then. I am now playing tennis once or twice a week, started playing golf and leading a full and active live. A big thank you again to the whole myeloma team.

When I was diagnosed I realized that each patient?s condition, treatment and response was individual and different, and I decided that I had no desire to search the Internet for information or join in any discussion groups to share in other people?s experiences. I had total trust in my myeloma team at UCLH and Worthing Hospital, but I also had the advantage of having my loving wife, who was a nurse, to support me throughout the journey. I also tried to approach myeloma as just another disease and follow the treatment prescribed each day and each week.

I originally presented to my GP with back ache, weight loss and over-tiredness following weeks of heavy exercise sailing, and instead of simply prescribing rest and pain-killers, he asked for extensive blood tests, a decision that saved my life. My overseas travel plans were cancelled and I started CDT treatment within one week. My paraprotein was then 74, which I was later told by a Registrar was the highest level she had seen. My skeletal survey showed extensive lytic lesions and a sizeable humeral lesion that was initially considered would require pinning. I knew then that I was starting the long haul.

Looking back over the last three years, the things that have sustained me most have been my wife; my former fitness and positive attitude; my Buddhist approach to life; and my dog.

I have enjoyed reading the contributions to this Forum over the last couple of days and look forward to making my own when I feel I have something worthwhile to contribute. Meanwhile I am open to any questions you may have.

Loving kindness or ?Metta? to you all. 🙂

David

eve
    Participant

Hi David
    its just so nice to hear from a person who has gone through the mm journey,and come out the other side and has got his life back.

A big welcome to the site and I do hope you continue to post.

As you say everyone is different and some people have a longer and harder journey,which in its self creates more problems.
    I have found this site such a help and wonder how people manage with every day things that MM creates, without any help,but as you know everyone is different.
    Eve

Gill
    Participant

Welcome to the site David. I hope your good health stays with you for a long time

Regards Gill

brocho
    Participant

Hi David welcome to the crazy gang! Glad you made it in the end. This site is brilliant for all sorts of reasons , support , information and sometimes a good laugh As you pointed out we are all different and there are times when being lighthearted is good for the soul whilst not ignoring the serious side . Heres to you being fit and healthy for a very long time Bridget

tom
    Participant

Na then David

Great to have you on Board and a warm welcome from iccle ole me 😀

You are a little in front of me I was diagnosed Jan 2009 transplant dec 09 and as they say the rest is History, well as I am hanging on to your tail coat just you keep on that running "Onwards and Upwards" and dont let me catch you cos I can Run (well used to lol)

Keep up the strenth and Catcha Lata 😎

Tom "Onwards and Upwards"

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi David

Good to welcome you to the site. It is an encouragement to newer members to have someone who has successfully gone through what you have.

Long may your remission last!

Very best wishes.

Mavis

Debs
    Participant

Hi David and Welcome

Great to have you on here…I always think it is really good when we have the 'good news' stories on the site….I did ask for a discussion category for this but it hasn't happened sadly.

Glad to hear that you are doing well post SCT and I hope that your remission is long lasting

Take care
    Debs x

lorrainey
    Participant

Hi David,

A very warm welcome from me too. Pleased to hear you're doing well and long may it continue 🙂

Take care

Lorraine xxx

Gill
    Participant

I have already welcomed David and I don't want to hijack his posting but thinking about the last post on here from Debs.

I would second a "Good News" topic. Surely it would not have to be just mm related but could be for members on this site posting any good news (good mm news always welcome of course:-).

A new baby in the family? a holiday that went well? that dress that took pounds off your figure ladies;-) a nice big lottery win:-D

What do otheres think?

Gill xx

jmsmyth
    Participant

Gill that is a great idea and I definitely "third it" it. It's so uplifting reading positive good happy news . How about it MM team
    ??

Jean x

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Joining you all at last’ is closed to new replies.