Lesbians (and gay men) with Myeloma

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  sandydeli 12 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Jet
    Participant

I have met two other lesbians with myeloma and as our issues may be slightly different to those faced by heterosexuals, I just wonder if there are any other lesbians/gay men out there with myeloma who may wish to discuss the issues we face or just make contact.

If there are any issues you want to raise, you can leave a message here for open discussion, or if you prefer not to out yourself in this forum, please feel free to email me: jet.black@sky.com.

Wishing you all good health and a good response to treatment.
    Jet

tom
    Participant

Hi Jet

First I have to say am neither but didn't want to just ignore this post 😀

Not sure what difference their would be by a sexual preference though (oh dont call me thick :-0 ) but good luck 😎

That Said Jet how are you doing these days? hope your doing well and keeping strong.

Love
    Tom "Onwards and Upwards" xx

Jet
    Participant

Tom, it's absolutely fine to ignore a post that doesn't relate to you.

I don't consider being lesbian a sexual preference, it's more complex than just a preference and I think that's true for most lesbians and gay men. But this is not the place to go into sexual politics. Suffice to say, that I would not need to explain this to someone who identifies as lesbian, gay or bisexual.

We can still face prejudice, discrimination or simply ignorance, despite certain levels of legal equality. There may be instances where being lesbian/gay is an additional issue we need to deal with, or we may need to "come out" in discussion with the medical profession when we need treatment for cancer or later when making end-of-life-type decisions.

I have been fortunate in being treated well and my partner respectfully included in consultations, but that may not be the case for everyone, just as some of us have had better or worse information and advice from our haematology consultants. So I wanted to offer an open door for discussion of any of these types of issues encountered by any other lesbians and gay men. I have also found it comforting to be able to make contact with others lesbians, so also wanted to offer that possibility to others.

I am doing ok, easily tired and very dry skin from the Revlimid, tearful and a bit depressed post-SCT, but other than that pretty much well and in complete remission. Thanks for asking!

tom
    Participant

Hi Jet

Well explained 😀

Am pleased you are doing Ok, as for the tired bit well am Post Transplant two years today (happy birthday Stems) and still in remission but still get tired still get tearful BUT I think I was like that before I got MM lord I could cry at "Little House On Prairie" lol:-D

Good Luck and wish you a Long Remission

Love and Hugs

Tom "Onwards and Upwards" xxx

BADGER
    Participant

Tom
    wonderful news two years today lets hope for many many more as for crying join the club it started with Bambi and hasnt improved much since now we must just be big old softies:-)

Love and Hugs Jo;-) xxx

tom
    Participant

Hi Jo

Yes its great news (but i was always expecting a good responce 😀 )
    And My Stems are I are in for the long haul 😎 oh and dont mention Bambie lol

Love and Hugs

Tom "Onwards adn Upwards" xxx

sandydeli
    Participant

Hi jet, I've been following your blog with great interest as your only a few months ahead of me with your sct. I had a feeling you we're gay ( my gay dar lol) yes I'm gay too. Not that I've found any difference in my treatment or anything mind you I don't go shouting it. So no I've no issue but I'm glad I'm not the only one on here. Sandra.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Lesbians (and gay men) with Myeloma’ is closed to new replies.