London Infoday tomorrow

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  tom 13 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Debs
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    Just wondered if any of you were going to the Infoday tomorrow….I'll be there with my hubby Nick, and one of my sisters so it would be great to catch up with anyone who uses the site!!
    Great timing with the website as I might now know who to look out for!!!

Debs x

Gaye
    Participant

Hello Debs – sadly I won't be there as the energy levels these days are just too low, but I did go a couple of years ago and found it a very useful and informative day. It is always very well attended and it sounds like this year's attendance will break all records! I hope you enjoy it Debs and let's know how it went if you can.
    Gaye x

Debs
    Participant

I'll try to take notes Gaye and give a summary of anything interesting that comes up….bit harder for me as I don't quite understand all of the treatment stuff yet, but I'll do my best!!

brocho
    Participant

Hi Debs I had been hoping to go this time but I really am not up to it but I will get to one soon !!You will be our intrepid reporter mind you I bet there is so much info it would be hard to take notes on everything love Bridgetx

Debs
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    Well I promised a summary and I'm not sure that I'm going to do very well so sorry up front!!
    It was a great day, really well organised and I found it really useful for all those personal reasons you can't really put into writing. It was hard listening to people talk about side effects etc given that I'm probably quite close to starting treatment, but on the otherhand it was great to see so many people there on and off treatment, but doing pretty darn well!!!
    It started with Dr Faith Davies giving a great talk on what myeloma is and how it affects people….fantastic for people like my sister who don't know too much and are a bit scared of looking it up on the internet. And actually I learnt quite a bit too!
    Then there was Dr Sagar Lonial from Atlanta…I found him a bit hard to get my head round a lot of what he was saying, but after a following talk from Prof Gareth Morgan, it became clear that perhaps with the exception of Little Rock, that actually we are all starting to sing from the same sort of hymn sheet. The only difference sometimes being the manner in which we obtain the drugs. There was a lot of jargon going on with Dr Lonial's talk but I think again, that is because I haven't started treatment so am not so clear on what a lot of it means in UK terms, let alone USA terms.
    There do seem to be lots of drug combinations coming out of the trials and it looks like it might not be too much longer before we see the trials in the UK.

There were a few other sessions, that I won't go into but were really useful from a personal perspective.

A few key things that came out that might be useful to someone??
    1. Some data is starting to come out of Spain suggesting that if you treat asymptomatic myeloma early, you might delay time before full MM develops. However, it was only a trial of 80 patients and whilst they're looking at more trials, it is still early days.

2. Velcade patients shouldn't be taking green tea/ Vit C in excess. (No comment of what excess was?)

3. Flu jab/ swine flu should be fine so long as no additional factors other than MM to take into account. But if you're really ill, and it might affect your quality of life, might not be worth the risk.

4. Carfilzomib (is that right?) and Pomcelidomide (??!!) result in less neuropathy than velcade. If you are suffering peripheral neuropathy, esp with velcade, someone should be looking at giving you treatment break/ lowering your dose asap before it gets too bad.

Please note that if you think any of this affects you, please check with the MMUK team that I have got my facts straight!!! Would hate to give anyone incorrect info!

Sorry this isn't very technical but I spent a lot of the time trying to get my head round what they were saying and didn't always write notes!!

Thanks to the whole MMUK for a really professional and informative day though….would definitely recommend it and would personally go again, esp if my situation develops before next year.

Debs x

brocho
    Participant

Hi Debs thankyou so much for the excellent summary it sounds as if it was a very positive day which is good news . I shall check up on the vit c and green tea levels as I am on velcade at the momentand dont want to take any risks. We are very fortunate having an organisation like m.m.u.k fighting our corner ad I shall do my damndest to get to the next infoday When do you have to make a decision about starting any treatment? I really feel for you as waiting for something to start must be very difficult , heres hoping you wont have to get on the treatment merry go round for a long time yet Thankyou again Debs and take care love Bridget x

Gaye
    Participant

Dear Debs – this is the second attempt at my reply to you – the previous one seems to be flying around in the ether somewhere.

Thanks for all the info you gathered from the day on Saturday. It sounds like it was a good day despite one of the speakers leaving you a bit unsure. I think clinicians can sometimes forget that they are addressing lay people and not fellow professionals and get just a bit carried away. Despite that it's good you came away informed and impressed.

Thanks once again for giving us the informationn – it was very good of you.
    Love, Gaye xx
    PS Let's hope this one gets posted!

tom
    Participant

Hi Debs

Hope all is well with you and yours 🙂

And thank you for the info, you done well girl 🙂 am sure its better than I would have done (cos am not sure what day it is lol)

Not sure whether to say "Hope its not too long before you start your treatment" OR "Hope its a long time before you start your treatment" One never knows whats best ? but Good Luck anyways

Tom

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘London Infoday tomorrow’ is closed to new replies.