Melphalan

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  tom 11 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

GinaH
    Participant

Hi Everyone
    I was just wondering if anyone had received melphalan as a treatment when not as preparation for a SCT? My Mam has recently started this treatment after several other unsuccessful treatments (rev, velc, thalid, high dose dex). Our consultant is extremely busy (only works part time and works alone – no nurse or support team) and often doesn't have time to talk through treatments/results and I generally try to fill in the gaps for my Mam after researching on the internet. I am struggling to find any relevant info and was hoping someone could share their experience of this treatment. All literature seems to talk about melphalan been given before a SCT so I'm a bit confused. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance x

meganjane
    Participant

Hi Gina,

My husband Phil had Melphalan as part of his stem cell transplant but the info guide on this site about Chemotherapy does mention Melphalan as a treatment option taken as tablets.

http://www.myeloma.org.uk/files/8012/8031/0094/Chemotherapy%20Infoguide%20Dec%202009.pdf

I hope this helps. Good luck to you and your Mom.

Megan

tom
    Participant

Hi Gina

I am like most I had mine prior to SCT so cant help.

Its a Shame and a disgrace that the consultant is on his own but that should not detract from the fact that without proper consultations and discussions a decision cant be made.
    I would Email/Phone the Nurse on here as am sure you cant be forced into this with not knowing the how's and why's

Good Luck and dont forget the Nurse on here 😀

Love Tom Onwards and upwards xxx

KeithH17
    Participant

Hi Gina
    Yes I've heard of this treatment,in fact it was one of the options I was given after my 4th relapse.
    It is given with Dex and thalidomide and has a good record fighting MM. I was given it as preparation for both my transplants but neither really set the world alight,in particular the second which only gave me 5,months remission.
    SCT's are becoming a thing of the past and in the states I don't think they even use them.
    Good luck to you and your Mam.

Keith.

GinaH
    Participant

Thanks so much for all the support, advice and information. It's nice to know we are not alone. It is soooo useful to know there is a nurse we can contact as, and I don't mean to complain, we have never been given treatment 'options'. We have been told what is going to happen next without explanation (on average our appointments last 2 minutes- seriously!).
    At the beginning of November 2011 my Mam was told no more treatment options were available and that she may or may not see Christmas – miraculously she went from strength to strength on steroids alone. The steroids stopped suppressing the myeloma Nov 2012 and I think we were just so grateful that they were prepared to try something else… but I guess it's time to start questioning!
    I apologise for rambling, but this is the first time in 8 long years I've found people 'in the know' to talk to.
    Thank you x

tom
    Participant

Hi Gina
    Well I dont think you are getting what you and os your Mum Deserve?, its shocking to hear you only have such a short time with the Consultant, Now i am one of those that say "If the Dr Smiles am Happy" but I do know as and when I need to know anything nothing is too much bother from him or his team, am sure i am not the only one that has a Team thats Bloomin Great.

Am very pleased your Mum proved the Dr wrong by going Past Christmas deadline 😀 I wonder how such a poor set up has been running with no complaint? dont get me wrong I think the NHS is a great system 😀 But that only if the Dr has enough time and is willing to give it to his Patients.

I would insist on getting more time to ask and for things to be explained to you both.

Hope all goes well

Love tom Onwards and upwards xx

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Melphalan’ is closed to new replies.