mum has to have a pleurodesis?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  gina45 12 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

gina45
    Participant

I'm not sure why she has to have this the doctors havent spoken to us yet. The nurse told us that mum has to have an x ray and a scan to see whats going on. She did have the chest drain but we have been told there is still fluid there. They will drain the fluid and then do the pleurodesis with talc so that the fluid doesnt get back into her lung. Has anyone heard of this or had it.
    Any advice or answers would be most appreciated
    Thank you
    Gina xx

jills
    Participant

Hi Gina,

A friend of mine had this procedure many years ago after suffering a collapsed lung. It is a process which sticks the lung to the chest cavity (I am sure there is a more technical explanation) with the idea of keeping it from collapsing.
    Just to say that it seemed to be quite a complicated procedure at the time (done at Brompton Chest Hospital) but my friend had no further problems and is still going strong thirty years later!
    Love to you and Mum,

Jill

gina45
    Participant

Thank you Jill, its the not knowing why she has got this fluid in her lungs, but hopefully the results will come through soon.
    Thank you for that it puts my mind at rest a bit. lets hope its the same for mum fingers crossed.
    Gina xx

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘mum has to have a pleurodesis?’ is closed to new replies.