Mums's MM and now has breast cancer!

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  tom 11 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

sandie58
    Participant

Can't believe what has happened now. Mum has just re-started her Cyclo. regime having had to stop after developing sepsis after taking the first two courses. She has just taken her second dose of 10 tabs and we will be a bit on edge when it comes to next week as that is when her white blood cell count went down before. Still, she is now on constant penicillin, so hopefully this won't happen again.
    Because they picked up three lesions on her last x-rays, they decided to do an MRI scan. As well as the bone lesions it picked up something suspicious on her right breast and referred her to the breast clinic. She didn't really want to go to yet another clinic, after all at 87 she is going through enough. However, I told her she should go just so we could hopefully discover it was nothing additional to worry about. She had a mammo and ultrasound and found the nodes were in fact just cysts which they extracted. However, the mammo also found something more suspicious in her left breast. This didn't even pick up in the MRI which I don't understand. She had a core biopsy last Wednesday and we got the results back yesterday (which was incredibly fast for the NHS. Everyone we spoke to said it would take at least two weeks.) The results showed that she has grade 1 ductal carcinoma, not the result we were hoping for! As if it's not bad enough at her age to copy with the Myeloma, she now has breast cancer:-(. No idea how long it's been there as she hasn't had a mammo for 40 years, however it is grade 1 and there is nothing in her lymph nodes which is good news. The Consultant did say they could remove it and give R/T, but mum had already decided she wouldn't have any surgery. We all agree, as sometimes I think when they cut into a cancer it can then just spread. I know it is a contained lump at present and they shouldn't disturb it with surgery, however they've only got to nick it……..Mum is already on Cyclo. which apparently is one of the chemo's they use for breast cancer, and they are going to consult with Haemo to decide which other drug to treat her with. Perhaps Tamoxifen or similar. Just another drug to add to her massive collection. I know mum is 87 and lucky to be at this age (although I add, she looks 10 years younger and looks so healthy and attractive)
    She has now been given her breast care nurse contact (on top of her haemo nurse contact). When they have decided which additional medication to give her we will see her Doctor and then discuss it with Haemo on the 15 April. I don't think the nurse has probably dealt with two people who were laughing and joking with her about the diagnosis. We just couldn't believe mum's luck that she would be diagnosed with yet another cancer. I guess as it is only grade 1 we just thought it would be dealt with at the same time as the Myeloma. Of course had it been grade 3 or 4 it would have been a different story and I would have been devastated. Have to keep mums spirits up and not show I am upset. She is an incredibly strong lady and needs to remain this way to fight this disease. She has the right attitude and doesn't dwell on what is happening, just takes the meds and goes with the flow. I know it is easy for her to do this at the moment as she still feels well and it would be a different story if she started to feel ill. I am just grateful that at 87 she can have treatment which will hopefully just keep things under control. Now am wondering about a genetic breast cancer link as my mum's mum passed away from BC in 40's, my sister passed away in 40's, and now my mum has it, so it has gone through three generations. Of course my mum has been lucky to not develop it early and I guess many women who reach 87 may go on to develop BC. Oh well, that's mum's story so far. We're hoping for just a settled spell of treatment with no glitches for a time;-)
    Sandiex

mhnevill
    Participant

Dear Sandie

I am so sorry to hear your Mum's bad news. It does seem very unfair doesn't it. I am only glad it is not agressive so you can make the decision to make any treatment low key. I have heard that breast cancers grow very slowly in the elderly so let's hope this is the case with your Mum – she has enough to cope with. I pray you will all be given the strength to cope with all this and that there will be some quality times in amongst.

Love.

Mavis

sandie58
    Participant

Thanks Mavis. I think there must be someone up there who is giving us strength as we are not stressing out after the news. Just taking things day by day and hoping that everything will just be contained and hopefully the lump will get smaller with treatment. It is quite large at 28mm and once mum starts on Tamoxifen (or alternative), we've been told to keep an eye on it's size as if it doesn't respond with one med. they can try it on another. Mum's breast is black and blue from the biopsy so won't be able to feel it until that has gone down. I've read a Macmillan book on DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma in Situ), and generally it is a contained cancer, but can spread out into other tissue. Let's hope that with the chemo and Tamoxifen, it will shrink it.
    Love Sandiexx

jmsmyth
    Participant

Hi Sandie

So sorry to hear of your mums news. Life can be so unfair and some get dealt really bad hands i don't really understand about "grades" but your post indicates that it's not the worse kind, but any sort is bad news. My thoughts and prayers are with your mum and your family. Take care and God bless
    Love Jean xx

sandie58
    Participant

Hi Jean
    Thanks for your best wishes. There are four grades, one being the least invasive so we are thankful for that at least. I had a bad feeling when they got the results back so quickly (which just goes to prove they can. Test done Wednesday afternoon and results back by following Monday afternoon). The news could have been a lot worse though so we are grateful for that. Mum is wonderfully strong and doesn't let it get her down, which makes me strong also. We will continue the appointments, the treatments etc., and just get on with life. I hope your husband's treatments are doing well, and that you can both look forward to a nice summer, if we ever get one of course:-| Love Sandiexx

tom
    Participant

Hi Sandie

Am sorry to hear about your Mum having to cope with Breast Cancer as well as MM and hope it shrinks with the treatment that she is having for MM.

My Young Bride (Elaine) was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2008 (Grade 3, estrogene receptive) and this summer she will be 5 years clear :-D, Elaine had a Lumpectomy and 5 lymph nods removed and is doing great.

Good luck to you Both as it sounds like you are both having a rough Ride with it all.

Love to you both

Tom Onwards and Upwards xxxx

feaseyjane
    Participant

Dear Sandie,

I am so sorry to read about your mum diagnosed with BC ,as well as having to cope with this blessed myeloma
    Sending my wishes and prayers to you both

Love
    Jane xxx

sandie58
    Participant

Hi Tom. Sorry not to have got back to you earlier. Mum is doing fine on her chemo at the moment, although last week she had a 'sicky, tired week'.:-S Hoping that this week she will feel better. Took her third course of Cyclo. yesterday and we go back for results on the 15th, and she will have her first infusion of Zometa. With regards to the breast cancer, she had a phone call yesterday to say that her meds were ready for collection. Don't think it's Tamoxifen, but I know the BC Consultant was going to speak with Haemo to discuss the best treatment to go with Cyclo. After the biopsy the lump (or should or I say lumps (another one popped up next to the main one), got huge, but then went down again. Don't know what happened there. We'll just keep an eye on it over the next couple of months and hope the new meds added in with chemo will shrink it.
    I'm very glad to hear that Elaine has done so well with the BC treatment. It's good that you can be there for each other.
    Best wishes to both of you.
    Love Sandie x

sandie58
    Participant

Hi Jane
    Thanks for your best wishes. It's like 'how much more can God throw at you'. In saying all that mum is handling her illness/ess very well. Had a bad week last week as she felt sicky and tired. Trouble is as well as the cancer she is 87, and on lots of other meds which all add to her tiredness. Still, she hasn't had any more infections since she started taking penicillin so that's good news.
    I believe you are newelly diagnosed, so I wish you well in your treatment ahead. Let's all look forward to some sun and heat. It's just got to start soon, hasn't it?:-/
    Love Sandie x

feaseyjane
    Participant

Hi Sandie,

Thanks for your lovely message.
    All those blessed tablets ,its enough to make you depressed.
    Bless your mum,it's bad enough feeling tired,but that sick feeling as well
    Plenty of rest and do what your body tells you.

Looking forward to the summer Sandie
    Best wishes to your mum and to you too

One day at a time ……….

Love
    Jane xxxxxx

sandie58
    Participant

Hi Jane
    Just spoken with mum today and she's feeling less tired and not so sicky, so that's good news. 🙂 It's been three weeks since she had her breast biopsy and the lump area is still painful which is a bit worrying. Think I'll speak with her breast care nurse tomorrow for advice. She starts taking her breast meds tomorrow, so on top of chemo hopefully will start to work. It's a bit worrying that her breast is hurting as it wasn't really before they did the biopsy, and also now she still has a 2nd little lump which she didn't have at all before the biopsy.
    Trying not to worry but this is now concerning me more than the Myeloma.
    Love Sandie x

tom
    Participant

Hi Sandie
    Not a problem am just pleased your Mum is not as sickie that was one of the things I didn't Like.

Give my Love to your Mum.

Love Tom Onwards and upwards xx

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mums's MM and now has breast cancer!’ is closed to new replies.