My Dad

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Vicki 11 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

keeponsmiling
    Participant

Morning everyone, i'm going to the hospital today with dad for his first chemo session. Feels a bit strange, its not a normal father daughter activity! Not sure what to expect but sure it will be fine :-/ Hope everyone has a lovely day. x

jmsmyth
    Participant

Hi Jennah

Haven't experienced Chemo in hospital with Frank (on tablet form) but when my brother was having it his wife used to txt me to tell me he was snoring his head off!!

Take care and best wishes to your dad 😀

Jean x

tom
    Participant

Hi Jennah

Am sure it will go well, send my regards to your Dad and wish him luck, let us know how you BOTH got on as am sure its not easy sat waiting.

Tom "Onwards and upwards" xx

DaiCro
    Participant

Hi Jennah,

What treatment is your Dad receiving? If it is Velcade then once you eventually get seen to it will be a quick injection into your Dad's tum and then its over… of course, getting ready can mean a lot of waiting about. If it's something else then it can mean a lot of sitting around… where your Dad will inevitably fall asleep at some point… so make sure you have access to a magazine or a good book.8-)

Where is your Dad being treated btw?

Regards

Dai.

keeponsmiling
    Participant

Hi there, thank you for your replies. My Dad is being treated in Eastbourne District General in East Sussex, they have been brilliant. Dai you were right, a quick injection and we were off! It was good to have bben with him, because although he acts the clown sometimes, I think he was genuinely nervous today and sometimes they tell him things and he gets confused. Dad is doing really well, main thing is tiredness but at the moment not much else to report. Does the treatment build up and progressively make you feel worse, or would dad have started to feel bad already? The Dr said that his kidney function has improved too, so that is a great weight off. He did say that dad's light chain results have come back as 3,750. What does that mean? I get so frustrated with myself as I wish I could absorb and understand more, but this stuff is really difficult to get to grips with!!! Jen x

eve
    Participant

Hi Jen

We all felt like that at the very start,medical jargon test results and wondering what is going on.

Some people get confused like your dad,my husband is the same,there is no way i could let him go for treatment on his own,after 18 months of chemo and treatment,he is not the person who started this treatment,it does not happen to every one,but in Slims case it has,:-P

make sure your dad drinks plenty of fluid,it sounds if your dad has Bence Jones kappa light chains,Myeloma.It is away of measuring how the Myeloma is doing,also the bloods so a number of results tell them what is going on in your dads body.These numbers will come down as treatment progresses,and Velcade is having good results.:-)Ask for a copy of the light chain results then you can compare them,and see for yourself,how well he is doing.I like to know what is going on,Slim has a big red file at home,it helps when he is in hospital or seeing a new doctor,as they do not have time to plough through the paper work,so I can often put my hand on the results very quickly,computers are good,but SE Kent does not link up with SW Kent,They only hold information on treatment in there own area.!!!

Take one day at a time jen,you have joined your Dad on a long journey,He needs all the support you can give him.Love Eve

keeponsmiling
    Participant

Evening all, dad has just finished cycle 1 of 6 🙂 Pleased we are 1 down but bit sad as today was the worst i've seen him look, very tired and really thin 🙁 He also said his back hurt but he thought he'd slept funny but by 5pm this eve it still hurt and he couldn't manage to pick up my 19 month old little boy (although he is a bruiser!), so i've said to mum if its still bad tomorrow to maybe call the hospital? Also, just out of interest when and how will they be able to tell if dad's treatment is working? This is all so hard. My thoughts are with you all. I can feel a storm brewing here in very windy Eastbourne. X

eve
    Participant

Hi Jen

Did you ask if your Dad had any tumour,s or lesions!!! this could be the pain,but chemo drugs should stop it,you do not say what pain relief your dad is on!!!or how much weight he has lost.
    Slim could not pick up a carry bag with a few items in,
    Jen it all takes time,they know if things are working by the blood results,and kappa light chains,has he been back to hospital for second cycle and Zometa yet!!!!,they should do a general check list,weight,sickness ect.you should phone in if worried,even if its just for your own peace of mind.Temperature ,feeling ill are the things they want to know about.

As for picking up a 19 months child,that should be a no no,you do not want to cause any damage to bones.
    If you do not have a book and info on this contact Ellen,
    This can be a long journey,so prepare yourself.Love Eve

tom
    Participant

Morning Jen and Dad

Well Eve has got it spot on Nowt else for me to say cept I normaly sit down and Elaine (the old woman 😀 ) puts the kids in my Lap lol and we have six Grandkids Now 😎

Keep strong it will work out, say Hi to your Dad for me

Love
    Tom "Onwards and Upwards" xxx

keeponsmiling
    Participant

Hi Dai + Tom, thank you for your replies, dad is on velcade/dex and something else which begins with c! His full scan didn't show anything more than thinning around the thoracic region. Not sure how quickly things change? Second cycle is next week 🙁 Dai what is Zometa? jen x

keeponsmiling
    Participant

Oh i've got myself confused! :-S thank you Eve + Tom from newcomers forum and Dai from the general forum. My Dad is 69 and called Michael by the way. I'm one of 4 kids (can I still say that at 32!?) So he is well looked after/badgered! hugs to everyone. X

Vicki
    Participant

Hi Jen,

Re your dad looking poorly. When my partner started his treatment, and right up to cycle 7 he had a pasty, sallow look about him, that ranged from really pale then flushed. I assumed it was the medication. Now that he is off treatment waiting for the next stage he does look more like himself. Although he does get very very tired and snoozes, particularly if he has had a full-ish day at work. The medical team seems really thorough with the bloods and Colin also had to do a monthly 24 hour urine sample collection. That was fun ha ha!.

Your dad seems to be doing very well and I noticed that Colin did less as the cycle went on I assume because the medication was building up and doing the job. I also kept an eye on any bone pain and always made sure Colin mentioned it when we went for our monthly check up.

Best wishes

Vicki and Colin

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘My Dad’ is closed to new replies.