my husband has been recently diagnosed with myeloma, and we are so confused

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  mattkbo 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

tracey1155
    Participant

hi

my husband Tony has recently been diagnosed, we are due to see the consultant again on the 2nd February 2015.

on Monday morning about 2.30am he woke in extreme agony to the point were I had to ring an ambulance.

they seem to think he passed a kidney stone?? they tested his urine and nothing was there to think anything else.

we are totally confused. My husband also get extreme pain in his feet and ankles, is this common.

any advise would be appreciated please.

janw
    Participant

Hi

I’m sorry to hear that your husband has been diagnosed with myeloma and has been suffering pain in his kidneys, ankles and feet. However, now that he is being monitored by a myeloma consultant, he will have his blood and urine regularly tested to determine whether he has any causes of concern such as raised calcium levels, kidney problems, low haemoglobin levels and any possible bone lesions/fractures which could be the reasons to his aches and pains. Presumably, your consultant will also have the results of any x rays/scans/tests carried out during your husband’s recent A & E visit for possible kidney stones. Because the symptoms of myeloma can vary so much from one person to another, it’s important your husband discusses any health concerns, pains and infections with his consultant, so that the consultant has all of the relevant information to decide on the next course of action.

For six months prior to my myeloma diagnosis, I suffered with acute kidney pain together with other severe pain in my ribs, back, chest, which I found out were all associated with my myeloma. However in order to reach the myeloma diagnosis, I went through a variety of tests by different consultants for possible kidney stones, inflammation of the stomach, breast cancer and gall bladder stones/sludge. It was only when three vertebrae collapsed, that an MRI scan showed evidence of other bone lesions which led to the diagnosis of myeloma by the radiologist. I quickly learnt that if I carried or lifted objects above a couple of pounds in weight then my pains would increase especially my side, ribs and back. I have gone through initial myeloma treatment, followed by a stem cell transplant, but I still take strong pain relief which helps manage the pain in my bones.

I hope all goes well with your husband’s next visit with his myeloma consultant and that he manages to find some answers as to why he is suffering from his aches and pains.

Regards

Jan

tracey1155
    Participant

thank you Jan, xx

keithmt
    Participant

I hope all goes well today Tracey, it’s the worst time for you both until you get some solid fact from the consultant about Tony’s condition and treatment plan. I’m sure you’ve looked around this forum and read plenty of experiences here (including mine) many of which have very positive outcomes.

My original diagnosis came from severe pins and needles in my feet but apart from a very occasional “spike” that’s all gone now. I’ve also had a number (4) of kidney stones since 1991 but none of these were related to Myeloma. Tell Tony I know all too well what pain he felt!

Try to keep positive and let us know what happens today.

Kind regards

Keith x

tracey1155
    Participant

Hi Keith

thanku for your kind words, tony has got to have nerve tests he has a lot of pain in his feet, but other than that they have put him on three monthly appointments.

regards

traceyxx

mattkbo
    Participant

Hi Tracey,

Sorry to hear about you husband. Prior to diagnosis my Myeloma manifested itself as extreme pain in my back, hips and pelvis over a few weeks. Similar to Jan, I had four collapsed and another fractured vertebrae, the Myeloma had caused multiple lesions. Has your husband had MRIs or CTs?

I think it is important to discuss with your consultant any new problems he has, however minor you may think they are, Myeloma is a very individual disease.

Matt

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘my husband has been recently diagnosed with myeloma, and we are so confused’ is closed to new replies.