My Stem Cell Transplant Journey

This topic contains 49 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  tom 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author

rebeccaR
    Participant

Hi Keith, You have done fantastically well throughout – even my neutrophils were still just below 2 and that’s after 4 months! Congratulations, you just have to take care of yourself now and be mindful of germs.
    Best wishes, Rebecca

stanley-1960
    Participant

Keith,

Reading your posts i think you have done tremendously well. I hope you continue to get stronger by the day. I am interested in one comment you made about going home for the first week before returning to hospital. Is this an option offered as standard or a decision you took yourself.

Best regards,

Stanley

keithmt
    Participant

Hi Stanley,

When my SCT process started, the hospital coordinator explained that I’d need to be admitted for between 2-3 weeks after my Melphalan chemo. She said that because the effects of the chemo wouldn’t kick in for a few days (as indeed they didn’t) I could choose to stay at home rather than sit in hospital feeling perfectly well. They kept a bed allocated to me during this time so that if I felt unwell then I could just come in. I had my Melphalan on the Monday and was very ready to be in hospital by the following Sunday.

Obviously this is my experience at the a Royal Marsden in Sutton, Surrey so I have no idea if this is standard practice or something unique to RM.

Keep well Stanley and good luck.

Keith

keithmt
    Participant

So, here I am, 26 days post transplant, swollen mouth gone, sore throat gone, and diarrhoea gone. However, still little appetite but I am trying to eat some protein in an effort to stop myself wasting away. Seem to be dropping weight still. I’m also getting out for some walks around the village to try and build some strength.

Otherwise all good I think; another blood test at the Royal Marsden this week.

My best to everyone.

Keith

stanley-1960
    Participant

Keith,

Great to see your up and about and the main symptoms of post transplant seem to have Subsided. Just need to force that food down to get the weight back on. I was wondering how much you have lost over the course of the SCT process to date. I’m on day 13 of my CTD first cycle and am eating like a horse, don’t know if thats the norm.

All the best,

Stanley

rebeccaR
    Participant

Hi Keith – great to hear you’re doing OK so soon after SCT and getting out for walks – you are certainly an inspiration for those who will being SCTing shortly. Are you trying those calorie/protein drinks they give you in hospital and you can get on prescription? must admit they tasted terrible in hospital so I only had one.
    Hi Stanley – I think your appetite might be dex induced as most seem to blame dex on an increased appetite and inability to stop munching around those days I was told I would put on weight due to dex and wouldn’t be able to stop myself eating, but I was careful to not start unnecessarily munching on dex days and did not gain/lose weight throughout. I only lost 8lbs from the SCt process and was very nauseous for a long time but always seemed able to be sick and then eat straight after. A lot of people tho’ seemed to say they lost 1 stone plus.

keithmt
    Participant

Hi Stanley,

I’ve lost 4kg since my transplant and 13kg since diagnosis last August. I suppose I’m lucky that I had that weight to lose so it’s brought me back down to my “normal” weight. Having said that, I’m sure I’ve lost quite a bit of muscle as well as fat so as I get fitter I assume a couple of kilos will creep back on.

Hi Rebecca,

Yes, I had the Fortijuice in hospital, not my favourite pint 🙂 the most palatable was black currant and I took some home when I was discharged. In fact, I’m drinking one now. I add a carton of Ribena and throw in some ice to keep it cold and I might get through this in a day. I can’t imagine what the milky ones are like but to each their own.

Cheers

Keith

stanley-1960
    Participant

Hi Keith,

My weight loss over the past 2 months has been just over 4kg but i put that down to the healthiest i have ever eaten in my life. Loads of veg,fruit,white meat and fish. Like yourself i still have a bit to play with to get down to what the experts say is my ideal weight .

Rebecca,

As i said to Keith i am getting towards a stone but put that down to a life changing diet and not putting processed rubbish in my body due to the fast pace of work and life(mostly work). As for the dex i am hungry when i’m not on it through the cycle it seems to be constant.

Best regards to you both,

Stanley

tom
    Participant

Hi Keith

Well done you are running nearly 🙂 as for the weight loss mine was a fair lot but my Dr (GP) would have told me that should be my normal weight ha ha.

as for hunger am on it with the Dexam afraid but al cope with it and start to cut down. keep on going like you are Keith

Tom Onwards and Upwards

keithmt
    Participant

Just an update at day 40 after transplant. My appetite still hasn’t put in an appearance but I am eating more and enjoying it more, even if I don’t feel hungry. My bloods seem to be recovering (as far as I can tell) with my white blood cells up to 11.2, platelets up to 235 and neutrophils up to 4.77. I have no idea how these numbers relate to “normal” levels but they are all up significantly since my SCT.

Keep well.

Keith

stanley-1960
    Participant

Keith,

Normal range:

White blood cells  4 to 11

Platlets               150 to 440

neutrophils           2 to 7.5

(Oxford handbook of clinical medicine)

Looking good, really pleased your on the mend.

Best regards,

Stanley

Vicki
    Participant

Hello Keith
    Just caught up with this thread. Well done you. Glad to hear you are doing well post sct. The appetite took a long while for Colin. He has since started to eat normally and put on weight. He still gets tired on and off but he’s done well so far.

Hope all going well for you Tom?

Vicki and Colin x

wallace
    Participant

Hello Keith,

Just read through your posts on this thread, do you have a big S tattoo’d on your chest? 🙂 I struggled a lot longer recovering from my SCT and I was 42 at the time. I did exactly 21 days in The Marsden, the home option wasn’t offered so must be something new since 2007.

Mike

PS Is that a Stag or PI you are leaning on in your avatar photo?

keithmt
    Participant

No “S” on my chest Mike I’m afraid, at times I felt like a complete wimp. I feel very fortunate that I’ve climbed out of SCT so relatively quickly and perfect timing to take the Stag out in this perfect weather. She’s just been through a lot as well ….. full re spray, new engine and various bits, I love her !

Keith

wallace
    Participant

Keith,

Well you’re a bit of a Superman in my books bouncing back so quick. You also just put a smile on my face by reminding  me of getting back on my feet and feeling brave enough to take my Triumph Speed Triple out for a ride. 🙂  Do you get up the Ace Cafe for Classic Car night?

Mike

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘My Stem Cell Transplant Journey’ is closed to new replies.