Pete's SCT – Done – now the recovery!!!

This topic contains 52 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Vicki 11 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author

foxy555
    Participant

Hi all

Well Pete went into Musgrove on Monday, had line fitted Tuesday, but had to have it put through his neck, bit uncomfortable, but they just could'nt get it in the normal way. He had 8 bags of cells returned yesterday, which only took 2 hours. He has lost his taste buds again and has been sick a couple of times, but apart from that, he feels ok.

I was dreading seeing him today, but he looks good – what is awaiting around the corner, I don't know, but eh, I feel happy tonight. We watched the rugby and just generally relaxed. I even laid on the bed with Pete and one of the nurses put a blanket over me incase I got chilly!!!!

Pete goes into isolation on Monday, I have been lead to believe that this is when things start to go slightly down hill, ie sickness, sore mouth etc etc, but lets wait and see.

For those of you who followed 'Chris the Biker's posts' – well he and his lovely wife Lena came to visit Pete on Thursday. Chris looks great and it was so nice to share experiences and see the end result!!! Oh what we would we have done without this site!!

Speak soon, take care everyone

Ann
    xx

PeterJames
    Participant

Hi Ann
    I had my SCT on 17th Jan , then spent a not very happy 10 days, went off solid food , lived on soup , ice cream & yogurt
    I found drinking tea was a great help for my mouth, was a total non tea drinker !
    Also developed a bad dry cough & very stiff neck from being propped up on the lovely soft hospital bed
    Started to loose hair , then part way through it stopped falling out, now got that tufty look
    Been home three weeks, this week turned a big corner, as if a switch had been turned on, cough & neck getting much better
    Eating proper meals , mouth not dry & taste returning
    Both be strong , you soon come though it
    All the best
    Peter

Dizzyliz
    Participant

Hi Ann & pete,

Good luck with the treatment time will fly by or though it won't seem like it at the time, hope all goes well!

Love liz & kev xx

jmsmyth
    Participant

Hi Ann and Pete
    Just wanted to wish good luck 😀 I hope Pete you come through it with the minimum of side effects. The nurse came out last night and said Franks neck a bit red she phoned hospital but we have to keep an eye on it and take temp. Now sitting by the phone again waiting for the call. Ann I know that awful dread feeling I have it even as I type this.

I will look forward to your post and my thoughts and prayers are with you both

Take care
    Love Jean xx

foxy555
    Participant

Hi Jean

Hope you get the call soon, you have waited so long, things need to start moving soon.

Pete has completely lost his appetite. I took him in some cheese rolls, at his request – he cannot get on with the hospital food, but he only managed to eat half a roll, said his throat is so dry, cannot swallow easily, that is all he his has eaten today. Was sick a couple of times first thing and has constant nausea, but we knew this was going to happen reading from all people's experiences.

Other than that he is still chirpy, had quite a few visitors today which helped him as well, at least took his mind off how he was feeling.

The smell of sweetcorn has now arrived, not as off putting as I thought, but stronger than I ever imagined!!

Peter – thanks for your post, really pleased to hear that you have turned the corner, keep well!

Vicki and Colin, how are you both doing?

Well we know the worse is still too come, but fingers crossed it will be over soon and life can get back to normal.

Jean, keep in touch and let me know when you get the call!!!

Take care

Love

Ann
    x

Vicki
    Participant

Hi Ann and Pete,

We are ok…..Colin's hair needs cutting! Hey you guys we remember that sweetcorn smell. It's weird. It is a really tough time but well worth it, although asking coiln afterwards he said never again! Colin did struggle with food, partly due to mouth and mainly due to Rubbish hospital food,mat their own admittance. Good luck with the isolation, but once the count gets down, the only way is up :-). Soon be out playing golf again Pete!

Glad to hear that biker chris is doing well….and how's the hair doing?

Jean and frank, keep your chins up and rooting for you all. There's no two ways about it….this mm is a bxxxx but the sct is one of the big battering rams to sort it! Hope you get the call soon, the waiting is a nightmare, and when frank gets used to the line in, it's an inconvenience! Fingers crossed for you all.

Keep us posted as support is so important, we both really appreciated it, and especially me as Colin was too ill to care initially but it was nice to read everything out when he came home 🙂

All the best all

Vicki and Colin x

jmsmyth
    Participant

Ann and Vicki

Thank you for your good wishes. We thought we would get the call this afternoon but nothing. Frank has his bag packed – so it's just a waiting game. Ann we were told by the transplant co ordinator that we were not to bring any food into hospital. She said digestive biscuits and lots of chocolate 🙂 She also said no bottled water. We could bring in biscuits or anything that is packed. She said the hospital food was rotten bur it was properly cooked and they knew it was safe :-/ didn't think my cooking was that bad. 😛

Will keep you all I for,ed and thanks for the great support

Love Jeanxx

tom
    Participant

Hi Ann and Pete

All sounds good to me you two are doing well 😀 the need or wanting food will be lost for a time am afraid but it will come back (you should see my belly lol) , Its lonely in Isolation but all Pete will want to do is sleep (if he is like me)

Keep well its on a roll now

Love Tom Onwards and Upwards xxx

bikerchris
    Participant

Hi Ann and Pete,
    Well done Guys, at last those cells are in and you have done the hard bit!
    The sweetcorn smell is pretty nauseating, and I felt a lot better one I tackled a shower to get rid of some of the smell!
    I hope you get your room tomorrow, it makes a much shorter trip to the loo apart from evrything else!
    You have done well seeing a few visitors, pity you can't eat grapes in isolation, I had mountains of them in the end!
    I hope you find something that you can face eating. At least the build up's are not too bad if nothing else appeals. You will soon be feeling much better and back on the beer again – something to look forward to in a few weeks!
    Lena said you had watched the Rugby on Saturday – I met up with some friends and saw the match in a pub – brilliant game, and the boys are doing great. There was plenty of cheering, especially after a few pints!
    It was good to see you last week, you are both doing really well and really positive. Try to keep it up, even if they try to kill you off with the food 🙁 (guaranteed to be mainly horse)
    Love from us both,
    Chris and Lena xx

foxy555
    Participant

Hi all

Pete was quite comfortable until today, cannot hardly swallow now, even his tablets, the nurses have had to crush them up. They may give him some morphine tomorrow to help ease the pain. Apparently it will get worse before it gets better!! Well we knew this was one of the side effects, but not nice seeing him in so much discomfort, he has already lost 12lb as well!

Jean – so sorry to hear of another delay for Frank!! Hope you are coping ok.

Speak soon

Ann
    x

tom
    Participant

Aww bless, w know its going to happen but it's still hard, mouthwash I can tell you you can't use too much.
    Pete will lose weight for some time due to not being able to eat, plenty of ice cream and ice pops did well for me during this time.

Love Tom Onwards and Upwards xxxx

Vicki
    Participant

Hi Pete and Ann

Sorry to hear of peters swallowing problems. I remember that so well when Colin was in. It was horrible as there is nothing that can be done, other than wait for it to get better. Remember pineapple juice is supposed to be good to help soreness and ease the blistering?

Hope you are ok too Ann x

Vicki and Colin x:-)

foxy555
    Participant

Hi Tom and Vicki

Thanks for your comments, it does help knowing that this is the norm! Otherwise I would be worried.

Such a shame about Jean and Frank, they have really had such bad luck!

Take care

Ann
    x

jmsmyth
    Participant

Hi Ann

Sorry that Pete is having such a bad time. I hope thins start to get easier – the quicker the better. Best wishes to you both. Frank is soooooo bored . Just left him and he's not a happy bunny

Take care
    Love Jean xx

meganjane
    Participant

Hi Ann,

It isn't great when they tell you it will get worse before it gets better, is it? I remember Phil and I wondering each day if Phil had reached the bottom yet but you will find one day you will go in and Pete will have turned the corner and then it will be onwards and upwards – to borrow a catchphrase 🙂

Megan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Pete's SCT – Done – now the recovery!!!’ is closed to new replies.