Positive News I Think!!!

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Vicki 11 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

KeithH17
    Participant

Hospital visit today for Zometa and recent blood tests showed PP's are down to less than 1g/l so all good on that front. I have lost 9 kilos ( 1st 4lbs ) since starting treatment in June but most of this has been in the last 3 weeks due to cutting out all sugar intake due to the diabetes. I am now down to 72 kilos ( 11st 4lbs ) which is 6lbs underweight but I'll be keeping an eye on it. The hospital have mentioned supplements but the problem is most of them are full of sugar which is what helps increase the weight but is no use to a Diabetic. On the positive side the nurse agreed with me that as I have responded well to the treatment and my bloods are looking good there is no real advantage in prolonging with the punishing Dex doses that are causing all of my sugar problems and is going to speak to one of the consultant team (my own Doctor is on holiday) with a view to reducing the dose so that I can get to grips with the Diabetes and therefore start feeling less fatigued. My visits are now going to be every 2 weeks rather than each week unless anything changes in between times as my bloods are looking more stable.
    Lets just hope the Dex is cut and I can get some semblance of order and enjoy some decent health.

Good health to all.

Keith.

BADGER
    Participant

Hi Keith
    this sounds like good news as soon as you are off DEX the sugars will level out how are you getting on with the insulin did you know once the sugar levels are down and stay down you can come off insulin the diabetic team are always keen for you to stay on it but you will find one or two tablets will do i came off for ages until they put me on a small dose of steriod for my kidneys I manage ok but would rather not have it but I have been diabetic for 20 years so my case is a bit different until MM I was a very well controled diabetic with nothing else wrong with me those were the days keep up the good work:-)
    Love Jo x

Eva
    Participant

Dear Keith,
    Am delighted for you. I think you're right in being concerned about QOL issues and in hoping to reduce the dex. I can't imagine a diet without a grain of sugar! Are there any other interventions that can ameliorate the diabetes? Such as meds or exercise? I also wonder whether any other dietary interventions, other than stopping to consume sugar, can make a difference.
    Good luck,
    Eva

tom
    Participant

Hi Keith

I think it is Positive news, I hope the Dex is cut for you am sure that will make your life far better.

The lowest I got with the weight loss was 68 kilos and i was normaly 95 kilos, now back to the 92/95 yep i float from one to the other.

Good Luck Keith

Tom "Onwards and Upwards"

Vicki
    Participant

Hi Keith,

That all looks like good news to me, the bloods are down so the treatments working. I hope they can sort the sugars out. My uncle had type two diabetes (not myeloma related thank goodness) but he controlled his with diet. Hope this can work out for you too.

Vicki and Colin x

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Positive News I Think!!!’ is closed to new replies.