Public Swimming Pools

This topic contains 11 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  phil47 11 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Nettie
    Participant

I am not sure if this is the right 'slot' on the Forum for this question – but here goes!
    Has anyone been advised not to swim in public swimming pools while on treatment?
    I would love to get back to swimming to stay fit but as I am on Rev + Dex I wondered if this was safe due to the risk of infection.
    Perhaps a question for my Consultant at my next appointment.
    Nettie

PeterJames
    Participant

Hi Nettie
    I was diagnosed with MM at the end of May this year, just stating my final cycle od CTD
    I was told to avoid swimming pools like the plague , like you i enjoy swimmimg , also all public transport, boats & planes . Ie all crowded places
    We Go early to quite resturants, I chance the Trafford Centre as its very large, avoiding it at school hols
    Family / friends all told to keep away with any colds or infections, Family don't live at home, all sides enjoying colds at present
    If I go out I wipe my bit of table with an antiseptic wipe, take antiseptic jell with me for hands
    Maybe I am being over cautious , but not had a cold or any other problem during 15 weeks of treatment, touch wood !
    All the best
    Peter

Helen
    Participant

Hi Nettie
    I think it's down to the dex effect of masking infection and the revlimid effect of being so powerful. You pick up infection so easily and it can be hard to detect because you don't feel ill. Eve had great trouble with Slim when he had pneumonia and while I've been on revlimid I've caught everything going and I'm not on dex anymore. Take your temp every day and repeat it every hour if it is on its way up above 37*c. Then ring the docs when it stays above 37.5 for 2 hours or more. It's probably just a precaution but maybe better safe than sorry if you are on it at relapse stage.
    Love Helen

jmsmyth
    Participant

Hi all
    Just putting my penny worth in. Years ago I was told about what was in public pools (maybe I'm paranoid) but I will not go into a public pool or jacuzzi. Now in saying that my sons do tell me "get a grip mum'. But that's me

Love Jea x

Nettie
    Participant

Thank you all for your comments. I shall stay away from our local pool but hope to get back into the water if the sea is warm enough next summer! I agree that the Dex factor makes it very difficult to know when there is an infection on the way especially as I do not feel particularly well at any time now I am on the Revlimid!!
    Nettie

tom
    Participant

Hey Nettie

I wasn't told to avoid it but I did (aint too good in water lol)
    My Young Bride was told to avoid indoor pools (for 121 months) after she had Radio therapy when she had her op for breast cancer but wal Ok to go in the sea.

Keep well

Love Tom (cant swim well) "Onwards and Upwards" xxx

BADGER
    Participant

Hi NETTIE
    I have been swimming a lot at my local pool go early in the morning before all the kids get in got a throuat infection once I thought it could have came from the pool but not sure just try not to get water in your mouth its a bit unconfortable but I do breast stroke with my head out of the waater
    Love Jo:-P

Vicki
    Participant

Hi nettie,

Colin was told to avoid pools and gyms, too much infection about…..what about some home exercise like exercise bike or something similar. Bit antisocial I know but it would keep you ticking over until you are able to use pools again?

Vicki

Lorna
    Participant

Hi Nettie

I'll throw my penny worth in too and say Mike is nearly 2 years post SCT and his consultant still forbids him to visit a swimming pool! Oh well. 🙂

Lorna x

HelenR
    Participant

Very useful post although a bit depressing to see the answers… I've been really looking forward to being able to go swimming again when my Hickman line comes out 🙁
    I don't think I'm going to be on any maintenance but I guess will need to be careful of infection risk after chemo for a fair while (or always?)
    I wonder whether small pools in gyms are better or worse in terms of infection risk? I suppose in any case it's hard to find anywhere in London that's not busy…
    Helen

Debs
    Participant

Hmmm… I hadn't even thought about it and have to say that I went swimming after about 6 months as my kids were desperate to go with us, and I was sick of making excuses of why I couldn't do things with them all the time. I spend my life around snotty nosed kids coming over to play and so can't really miss these things.

This summer we went to China and went to the Bird Cage in Beijing and I have to say, if there was ever somewhere I would have picked something up, it would have been there I reckon!! The kids possibly got the herpes simplex virus but I stayed clear 🙂 (!!!)

But perhaps if it had even crossed my mind I would have avoided all those things……..

xx

phil47
    Participant

Hi Nettie,
    Contrary to the majority of comments, I swam 3 times a week at my local public baths all the way through my induction treatment (CDT) without any problems and it kept me sane! My medical team were aware of this and did not advise me that I shouldn't. I've had to stop now following my SCT but will do again when i'm fully recovered and checked with my consultant.
    Regards
    Phil

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Public Swimming Pools’ is closed to new replies.