Raise your hand if you hate dex lol

This topic contains 22 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Eva 11 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

stevo72
    Participant

Don't know about you guys but me and dex don't get on I take 20 Mgs on Monday and 20 on Tuesday which makes me manic and can't sleep with mild tremors then the rest of the week is one big nosedive of lethargy any one else not good chums with dex? Lol

eve
    Participant

Hi Steve

When are you taking the Dex,should be early in the morning as possible,it did make Slim argumentative,so certain he was right,plus became anxious at my driving luckly he did realise it was the Dex,It gave him a good appetite for a few days,so that was good.
    The bad thing about it,is it mask infections,so you have to be careful and watch out for a low blood pressure,even A&E are nor good,not use to patients taking large doses of Dex. Big learning curve for us,wish someone had warned me about it,just one of the blips Slim went through.Eve

BADGER
    Participant

hello Stevo

Dexitude is the word I am on 20 day one and 2 and side effects most of the following week but when I was on CDT it was 40mgs four days running hell on earth but it worked and i got 3yrs 6months remission so hang on in there i am on velcade sub Q at the moment once a week so i hope i get a good remisssion from it just starting third cycle the only down side at the moment is 2 units of blood every two weeks as it damages my HB how are you doing with the rest of the treatment Keeping well i hope
    Regards Jo

Mothas
    Participant

Turns me into a nutter, I eat lots of cake and I don't sleep for 3 days 🙂

stevo72
    Participant

Hi eve how are you? I've been taking dex for seven months and had enough of it my first ever dose was 80 Mgs for two days in a row,I was very off my head lol , but the other hidden baddie they don't tell you it raises your cholesterol a lot so it's something I would monitor especially as my myeloma ruined my kidneys which means my diet is poor anyway, the other side effect I have is muscle wastage on legs arms and chest so sometimes even the simplest of tasks makes me shake, so as much good as it does I've found it's changed me a lot , if could just have velcade on its own it would be a breeze lol,hope all is well with you take care xxx

stevo72
    Participant

Hi mothas hope all ok with you, as I said to eve watch that cholesterol level and watch your weight in the first month I lost loads but since then I've put on 7 kilos which is being a sod to try and shift,take care

stevo72
    Participant

Hi jo I'm keeping ok thanks,how you getting on with the velcade any nice belly bruise yet lol, are you taking dex again with it? Well other than this less than amusing myeloma I hope your ok and kidneys not giving you too much trouble

tom
    Participant

Hi Stevo

Its been a long time since I took them and used to take 10 Tabs @ 8 am and another 10 Tabs @ 11 am, was I bad with them ?? Lol I once asked the young bride (elaine) if i was bad on dex? and she just tapped my arm and said "Its over now your better! and walked away ? am sure that means I was Bad lol.

as the Ladies say its like having a baby ? its soon forgot Lol, stick with it M8 am now drug free 😎

Tom Onwards and Upwards

SueM
    Participant

Hi Stevo,can only half raise mine as i did enjoy the supercharged brain dex effect ,i suddenly organised lots i'd never sorted like a mega spring clean but the zombie crash feeling is not nice.
    My family always knew my dex days as i talked for england 😀
    I took mine before bed but still had disrupted sleep

best wishes
    Sue

stevo72
    Participant

Hi sue I would check that taking dex at night that's sounds very wrong,it's always advised in the morning because of it shall we say mild waking affects lol,take care

SueM
    Participant

Hi Stevo,
    It isnt auto absorbed it has to be broken down in the stomach,absorbed into bloodstream.I took it 30 mins ish after sleeping tablets then for me i could get to sleep 🙂

What works for one doesnt for another happy dex times,unforgettable

best wishes
    Sue

Mothas
    Participant

Yes this is interesting I've seen conflicting advice on this.
    I was told to always take it in the morning, but I've seen medical advice saying take it before you go to bed.

I'm not actually on it at the moment but will be starting again within a couple of weeks. Great.
    I am planning to try to eat more healthily this time round, it gave me real cravings for carbs but I'm going to try to eat more fresh fruit and veg instead this time.

BADGER
    Participant

Hi Stevo

My belly is not very bruised only haveing Sub Q once a week so not so bad
    I always take the DEX as early as poss in the morning with brekkie so i do get a bit of sleep at night no sleep if taken later in the day kidneys seem ok but have a real app next week its always like the sword of damacles hanging over me when i go there especially if i see a young registrar they are very gungho about dialysis like its there mission in life to get me on it I have resisted it for 4 years now so just keep fighting on:-P
    Love Jo x

PeterJames
    Participant

Hi All
    Sorry to be different but I loved my four days on dex at 40 mg/ day, twice per three weeks
    Took them as early as possible to get best effect, first day after a few hours I could feel them kicking in
    Energy levels went up , pains in old spinal problem ( none MM ) largely disappeared , so much so just had epidural to keep the effect up
    Slept like a log, ate like a pig , no change there then , would you believe , put on weight
    Quite liked the new aggressive me, normally very placid
    The only problem was the twenty four hour cold turkey after each four days , total lack of energy
    Takes all sorts
    Peter

ali49
    Participant

I hated the highs and lows of dex. I was so jittery on the 40mgs they halved the dose. Then when I complained of tremors and the low feelings they also tailed off the last doses over 3 days i.e took 10mg, 6mg, 4mg rather than 20 in one day, it did help!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Raise your hand if you hate dex lol’ is closed to new replies.