Recent guest of the NHS

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Gaye 13 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Gaye
    Participant

I have today been discharged from my local hospital where I was taken last Wednesday with the rigors which I knew meant an infection. They never did find out the cause of the infection but I was told that when myeloma patients get infections, some 50% of them are never identified. I was surprised.

I am so glad to be home but I was treated very well. Now it's back up to Barts on Monday. In my 7 years with myeloma this is the first time I have had to be admitted with an infection and I think I was becoming complacent thinking 'it won't happen to me'. Well it did!

Kevin, sorry you have had your fourth hospital incarceration. I hope you are now feeling much better.
    Love, Gaye x
    PS It seems like lots of new people have joined in my absence. Welcome.

brocho
    Participant

Dear Gaye sorry you have been unwell I hope you are feeling better now The point about the source of infections being unknown in mm is interesting and a little strange too. However good the care in hospital is there is nothing like being at home so I hope that was your one and only admission!!Take care love Bridget xx

Gaye
    Participant

Thank you so much Bridget. The joys of a good night's sleep, gorgeous shower and hair wash cannot be overstated – wonderful! I read your post about michellin woman. It really is a bummer when this happens. Have they told you when your SCT is going to happen? That certainly should shake off a few kilos. In saying keep up those wonderful spirits I know that during my hospital stay I went through quite a few lows, not least when I couldn't get the tele to work and could only get a signal with my mobile when I stuck my head and telephone out of the window. Not ideal conditions!!
    Love, Gaye xx

DaiCro
    Participant

Hi Gaye,

I'm glad that you are telling us about your adventure from this side of the hospital bed. I had the rigors before, during and after my Hickman Line replacement procedure and I know that they make for an extremely unpleasant experience. Sleep, a hot shower and clean smelling hair are real treats when you have to do without them but please try and make it another seven years or so before your next trip in. 😀

Dai.

Gaye
    Participant

Thank you for your kind words Dai. I'm taking things easy and catching up on all my favourite programmes on the iPlayer!

I hope that all is well with you.
    Love, Gaye x

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Recent guest of the NHS’ is closed to new replies.