Shingles vaccination

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jet 11 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Jet
    Participant

I heard an article on Radio 4's You and Yours on 9 Nov, about the Dept of Health giving approval for a Singles vaccination on the NHS. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nq3d7 Have a listen from around 32:25).

I was just wondering if anyone else knows about this or have you tried to get it? As I have had an auto and a donor transplant, my immune system is particularly vulnerable and I really do NOT want to get Shingles. But when I asked at my GP surgery, the Receptionist said they don't do it, but I reckon it's very new, so I'm wondering when it might become available… Any thoughts?

eve
    Participant

Hi Jet

Nice to hear from you,must have been heavy going with back to back SCT,they do say it is the best thing to a cure.Have not heard about vaccination for shingles,but do know if you catch it early,have less side effects.
    I believe you have to have all your childhood injections again with donor transplant:-S Helen got whooping cough,seems injection only last 7 years and she only had an auto.

So important to keep your immune system healthy,good luck for the future just in case you go off the radar again.Eve

Jet
    Participant

Hi Eve

I'm not off radar, I just don't come to this site very often, but I do blog fairly regularly, so if you want to know how I'm doing, you're welcome to read it: jetblackliving.wordpress.com.

And yes, you're right, after both types of SCT, you need to renew childhood vaccinations. But your haematologist and GP should advise you.

I didn't intentionally have a back to back SCT. I was in CR after the auto, but sadly it only lasted about 5 months, so I had to re-commence treatment in Feb this year, which was followed by a donor transplant, from which I am now recovering.

Thanks for your comments and good wishes.
    Same to you.

Jet

Jet
    Participant

I've just spoken with my GP and apparently the vaccine for shingles is not yet widely available. Even if it was, it is a live vaccine, so it's too risky to give to transplantees. We would be much more likely to suffer the disease from the vaccine itself, than be immunised against it. Perfect irony, eh?!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Shingles vaccination’ is closed to new replies.