Side effects after sct

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  janw 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

greeners12
    Participant

my husband  had sct in March. He already had fractures to his vertebrae . He is still getting a lot of back pain and pain in his othe joints, have others experienced this?.

janw
    Participant

Hi,

It’s worth mentioning the pain to your consultant in order to ensure there is no further lesions or fractures. Perhaps pain medication is necessary for a period of time to help relieve the pain. However, it might just take a little while to improve especially after what your husband’s body has been through during the sct process.

After three collapsed vertebrae, four months of cdt followed by an sct in 2010, my bone pain in my back continued to cause me problems for some 18 months afterwards. I was taking tramadol and using fentanyl patches, but the pain was still very intense. I had to use a walking stick and felt I was bending forwards quite a bit because trying to straighten my back caused too much pain. I couldn’t sit for any periods on hard chairs. We had to change our settee, dining table/chairs and bed in order to try to improve my comfort and to get the right support for my back. However, I was sitting around quite a bit following the sct due to fatigue, nausea and bone pain, my consultant advised me that until I became more fully mobile during the day, then my back pain would remain. He was correct. Once I gained more energy after the sct and started to increase my activity levels, the bone pain became more contained with the pain relief. But even six years post sct, I still have quite a bit of bone pain particularly if I try to do too much. I can’t lift items, or carry out household chores or garden, otherwise the pain is too intense.

I hope your husband’s pain gets better as he recovers from his sct. I’m due my second sct next week and hope my bone pain doesn’t increase again. I’m certainly not looking forward to the nausea and fatigue. Certainly after the harvest a couple of weeks ago, I had intense back pain for two weeks.

All the best.

Jan

greeners12
    Participant

Hi jan

thank you for your response, he has seen his GP today and is goin to try another drug for pain relief, it certainly affects his quality of life at the moment, the back pain is still there reminding him everyday of this painful journey. It is still early days since his Sct, I have. Shown him your response and hoping that it will improve  with changes in pain management, it is so difficult. To find what will give him a day pain free.

i hope that your next part of your journey goes well for you.

janw
    Participant

Hi, That’s good news about your husband trying a different pain medication. Let’s hope it helps with making the pain more tolerable. There’s nothing worse than constant pain. Don’t forget to discuss the matter with your consultant, because your husband might need another MRI scan to ensure there is no further bone damage. I would also ask your consultant for pain management advice, because he will have more experience about which types and dose of pain drugs work better for bone damage.

Many thanks for your best wishes.

Jan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Side effects after sct’ is closed to new replies.