Stem cell transplant booked for Sunday 15 February 2015

This topic contains 19 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  mattkbo 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

ange
    Participant

Hi All

Thank you for all your kind messages and support. I am actually home now, earlier than expected! I did take all the advice given here and it certainly helped. I think I have been extremely lucky so far. I had the expected side effects from the Melphalan, mainly sickness and a slight sore throat but apart from that I am fine! The care I received from all staff at UHW Cardiff and RGH Newport was amazing. The compassion and cheerfulness of the staff definitely helped me through the whole experience. Taking it easy at home now and looking forward to a long remission!

Best wishes to all

Andrea

graemeandrewartha
    Participant

Hi Andrea

Congratulations on completing your SCT.  Mine was end of November 2014 and like you had sickness and in my case severe sore throat.

However the point is its doable and anyone reading these views and advice on how to get through it will, I hope, be heartened. The staff at all these hospitals seem wonderful and I can add Southampton to that.

My main advice after the SCT is take it easy and if the body says rest/sleep then do so. I am laid up with a stinking cold at present mainly due, I think, to doing some ,what I considered, basic shopping and helping out with my 94 year old mother. I could feel myself getting weary and tired but like any typical male carried on. If I had taken more rest or daily naps then I might not be laid up as I am.

Anyway I  wish you and all of us that have gone through SCT a longer life.

Regards to all

Graeme

bandityoga
    Participant

Hi Andrea

Good to hear you are home and SCT wasn’t too bad.

My hubby is harvesting on 16 March then he will be in as soon as a bed is available. I’m getting a bit nervous.

Hope you get a long remission x

ange
    Participant

Hi All

I am happy to say that my first clinic visit went well and bloods were fine. Thanks Peter and Matt for your kind messages. Thanks for the advice Graeme, since coming home I have hardly been able to do anything as it’s so much effort! It was quite a challenge to get ready and go to clinic and I certainly won’t be going out for a while unless I have to! I hope all goes well for your husband Maureen.

Best wishes to all xx

mattkbo
    Participant

Hi Andrea,

Good to hear you are home and on the road to recovery. It can be a long frustrating road at times, hard not to have any energy but it will return. Staying in is not a bad idea as there are lots of coughs and colds around at the moment. One day at a time, listen to your body and give yourself time to heal………and then, roll on summer.

Take care,

Matt

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Stem cell transplant booked for Sunday 15 February 2015’ is closed to new replies.