Stem Cell Transplant- Low Potassium?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jmsmyth 11 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Mrse
    Participant

Hi all

Pop undergone his SCT (hes been in hospital for 16 days now) and so far we have been a bit up and down (as I have seen from a lot of people on here is common) but they want to keep him in longer as he has low levels of potassium in his blood and although his white blood cell count is increasing his potassium is staying low and he's on a drip at the minute to try and boost it. Just wondered if this was a common thing and how long it is likely to last for? 🙂 Thanks all in advance 🙂

Helen
    Participant

Hi Nikki
    Very common to have all sorts of electrolyte disturbance, if not having normal diet and fluids its easy for them to get too low and need topping up by drip.
    Love Helen

Mrse
    Participant

Thank you Helen xxx

janw
    Participant

Hi Nikki

I was unable to eat anything and drink very little following my SCT for a good ten days due to constant feeling of nausea, actual sickness, sore/dry mouth which all combined together causing a complete loss of appetite. Even with three different types of anti sickness drugs the nausea wouldn't subside and food/water wouldn't stay down. Because my diet was completely non existent, I needed various bags of fluid, together with three bags of potassium as well as magnesium. I think I also had calcium tablets.

After leaving hospital all of my blood test results have been OK with no extra minerals required. Hopefully Pop will be the same when he manages to resume a balanced diet. Best wishes for his speedy recovery.

Jan

Mrse
    Participant

Thank you Jan 🙂

jmsmyth
    Participant

Hi Nikki

Frank was in the same boat. All his bloods were dood except for potassium. The kept him in an extra 3 days on a drip.potassium started to rise and they said he could go home. Frank asked was it his own body or the potassium drip that was responsible for the increase. They said it was a good point and kept him in another day. They gave him medication to take home. He's home 3 weeks now and although potassium is improving he's still on meds

Hope all goes well for your pop
    Love Jean

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Stem Cell Transplant- Low Potassium?’ is closed to new replies.