The story so far

This topic contains 19 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Ang287 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

dickb
    Participant

Hi Ang,

I believe it's the doctors at the hospital who are pushing things now. My last Chemo session was 22 October, the hospital will be on shut down over Christmas which here means from 20 Dec until 6 January. So, that will be 2 1/2 months after last chemo before any more treatment. As we all know MM comes back so it could mean that all the effort with the Chemo could have been wasted.

Yesterday it was a visit to the Blood unit where the harvest will take place, had a chat with the doctor, signed the paperwork and so that side is done. I will have another chat with my Oncologist today and then begin. We'll see if he'll let me self inject with the stimulant or wants me to visit daily.

I understand why Graham is getting worried but the way I look at it is do we have a real choice. Yes, he can have a good remission from the Chemo but for how long, and is it really likely. If he is young enough physically as well as chronologically and his medics believe he can, then why not? As for Stemcell over Christmas, is that likely? The hospitals will be operating at minimal levels over that period in the UK so is it wise to have treatment that requires a long stay in hospital just before Christmas? Surely better to enjoy Christmas first and start afresh in January.

meganjane
    Participant

Hi Angela and Richard,

I know in the UK waiting for a bed sometimes delays the SCT for some people but I don't think the fact that it is Christmas will necessarily cause a problem. My husband Phil finished his chemo in October 2012, he had his stem cells harvested on December 5th, 2012 and was admitted to hospital on December 17th for the SCT. He got his cells back on December 20th and was home on January 9th. The hospital was quieter than normal over Christmas but he still received excellent care overall. He never actually got moved to the transplant ward as by the time there was a bed available he was in isolation but the ward he was treated on was fine and used to dealing with SCT patients. Every hospital is different but I am sure at the Manchester Royal Infirmary it will be business as usual over Christmas.

Having said all that waiting until after Christmas is not that long a delay, many people get good remissions from chemo alone without having the SCT, an extra month after your initial treatment has ended is not a long time. Phil's PP levels stayed stable at 5 after his last Velcade injection and after the chemo for the stem cell harvest, it is possible that if he had not had the SCT his PP levels would still be at 5 now.

Good luck to Graham and to you Richard for the stem cell harvest.

Megan

dickb
    Participant

Hi Megan, waiting for a bed here doesn't seem to be an issue but the Germans love their holidays so the doctor at the hospital said it was unlikely to happen over the Christmas period. There are people who will be in the ward over that period and I have nothing but praise for the care I have received over here but I would also like to spend christmas with my family. I'm sure you'll understand how important that is.

Anyway, moving swiftly on, I'm booked in for the harvest on 9 December so far everything is moving on nicely again.

Ang287
    Participant

Hi Dick
    I think you are right about Christmas. Following our visit today we have been told that we don't see the transplant coordinator until after 10th December (when his stem cells are due to be removed) and then plans will be made for him to go in but there are other medical procedures prior to the transplant to assess his fitness so we have been told it is unlikely to be done before January so he may go in at the same time as you. Now I know he is 99% likely to be home for Christmas I will put a tree up and we will have a good Christmas and I will now make Christmas dinner for our family. Until now I did not want to discuss where I was having Christmas dinner as in the grand scheme of things it didn't seem important.
    Graham has a big boost of chemo next Monday and starts the injections on Tuesday and will probably be bald 2 weeks later.
    It will be nice for you to be home at Christmas, especially with a young daughter who will want her Dad there on Christmas Day.
    Best wishes
    Angela

Ang287
    Participant

Hi Megan
    It's great to see that your husband Phil is now in remission. It sounds like he had a lot going on prior to the transplant but he got diagnosed 3 months quicker than my husband did which is good.
    I will make the best of whatever situation we are placed in and if he is in over Christmas that is great, and if it's after Christmas then it will give him time to have more of a break before the transplant but I don't like the idea of him worrying about it all over Christmas. What will be will be and he has done very well so far.
    He has opted for some counselling prior to the stem cell transplant to give him more coping mechanisms as he has always had a phobia about anything medical. Over the last six months he has got used to our local hospital and lost his fear but it is like starting all over again now as we have been transferred to another hospital for the transplant.
    Best wishes to you both.
    Angela

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘The story so far’ is closed to new replies.