The Under 50s Group

This topic contains 115 replies, has 42 voices, and was last updated by  bev2504 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 116 total)
  • Author

Scotty
    Participant

Hi to any new readers – just to let you know that a few of us set up an Under 50s online 'forum' (its not that formal!) a while back, to share things that are possibly of more relevance to our age group – anything from worries over work, kids and getting married to our latest gigs, mountain climb fund-raising and ridiculous stories.

Anyone who's under 50 or thereabouts (what we would do without Tom?) is very welcome to join us. Drop an email to me, s.hawkes@added-value.com, as I am not always on here to see who might be interested!

Those of a nervous disposition be warned – the language is fruity but the people are awesome.

Cheers, Scotty.

kaychappers
    Participant

Hi I am new to the site. I did go on the other site but then saw the under 50's. I am starting treatment in January. I am 46 and was surprised to be told I had myeloma after a routine blood check. It would be lovely to be in touch with people who understand and have been through the treatment.

tom
    Participant

Hi Kay

Just wanted to say Scotty will be along soon as she is cavorting around the world doing work things, and or sorting out the forthcomming wedding:-D

So stick with it and before long you will be in the Under 50's8-) cool or what 🙂

kaychappers
    Participant

Thank you Tom for getting back to me. I dont feel quite so alone! Starting treatment in Feb for 6 months then stem cell transplant after that. The site looks so helpful and supportive. Thanks again. Kay

tom
    Participant

Hi Kay

No problems at all, what treatment will you be starting In Feb, I started mine in Feb 2009 CTD then Stem Transplant, never looked back since 😀

Today 16th December was the day I came home from Castle hill after my transplant 😎

Dont forget if you need to know anything just ask

Tom xxx "Onwards and Upwards"

ps did you send Scotty an Email from the addie above? x

kaychappers
    Participant

Hi Tom

They will be trying to get me on the Revlimid in Feb and then stem cell treatment 6 months later, so its the same as yours. It reassures me when you say never looked back. Still cant believe this is happening, but as you say onwards and upwards.:-) Great to be around people who know what it is like. Will keep in touch. Kay x

tom
    Participant

Hi Kay
    Am sure you will cope with it all 😀

Its not a walk in the park but it is Pain free (well it was for iccle ole me)

The worst was when i was having the Growth injections but that was only for a week end 😎 and it was not too bad 😀

Good Luck with it and will catch you lata

Tom "Onwards and Upwards" xx

brocho
    Participant

Hi Kay I hadnt seen your post until today so welcome to the crazy gang You wont find a more supportive group which is vital when living with mm . I am also in the under 50s despite being an ancient of 55 so see you there best wishes Bridget

kaychappers
    Participant

Many thanks for your kind reply Bridget.

sarahcheeseman
    Participant

Hi Kay, I've only just picked up your message, but wanted to reply to give you some encouragement. I was diagnosed with mm in August, also with plasma cell leukaemia, which is an added complication. For that reason I was treated with the PAD regime, which is a particularly aggressive treatment regime – I'm being treated at UCH in London. I can only say that I was expecting so much worse, and really had very few side effects, apart from being tired and learning to be a 'sofa slob', which my teenage children thought was great! 'You've become one of us' my 15 year old son said!

The other obvious side effect was losing my hair, but I went to a great wig shop before it went, and now prefer my wigs to my old hairstyle! My children found my hair loss harder than I did, but once it had gone, I made sure I put my wig on before I emerged each morning, and they like the new hairstyles too. My hair actually started growing back before I finished treatment, but as it's now an unfortunate shade of grey, I will keep the wigs for some time longer!

I finished my treatment at the end of October, and had a stem cell harvest a couple of weeks ago. I'm going into hospital for my stem cell transplant on Wednesday 5th Jan – I'm quite nervous about that bit of the treatment, but have read lots of advice on this site as to what to take with me to make things a little easier.

What I've learnt from talking to people is that each person responds differently to treatment and myeloma seems to be a very individual disease. I have tried my best throughout to take one day at a time, and to accept help when it's offered to me. I'm not very good at accepting help, but have learnt that my friends really do want to do something to make things better. They obviously can't make me well, but they can cook meals, give lifts to children, do a bit of cleaning or ironing, and they get a lot of pleasure from doing that if I let them!

The other thing I try to do is enjoy each day. Probably an obvious thing to say, but sometimes it's easy to forget that. Every now and then I do have black days when I think about the uncertainty of the future, but reminding myself that today, I'm alive and well, does help get me through those days.

My very best wishes to you Kay.
    Sarah xxx

brocho
    Participant

Hi Sarah good luck with your sct and I hope you get a very long remission too .I am also under UCH London and they are brilliant especially Dr Yong who is a very formidable woman but boy does she get things done !!love Bridget x

kaychappers
    Participant

Hi Sarah
    Thank you so much for your very positive message. I am very much a 'one day at a time' person, but I do have to be reminded frequently. I also do not like to ask for help and I have the habit of 'cutting off my nose to spite my face' especially with my partner who I can push away. I have such lovely friends and I will make sure I take your advice to allow them to help me if and when I need it. I do hope things go well whilst you are in hospital (with your positive attitude I am sure it will). Thank you once again Sarah.
    With all best wishes to you. Kay x

sarahcheeseman
    Participant

Hi Bridget

Thanks for your message and good wishes for my sct – I'm now going in next week – Tuesday 11th – so if you find yourself up at UCH during Jan, do feel free to find out where I am and pop in and see me. I'll be on the 15th floor, somewhere in Haematology I think!
    With best wishes,
    Sarah

brocho
    Participant

Hi Sarah I am glad you have got your admission date now , you will be at the top of the tower great views of London!! I have got quite a few appointments coming up for my radiotherapy so if I can I will pop up and see you Good luck and just remember it really is worth it and you will be home before you know it My recommendation for the boredom is a laptop and dongle and an e-book, both saved my sanity ,I sound like a real techno!!Haha love Bridget x

ajf
    Participant

Kay

Good Luck with your SCT. I know it is an anxious time, but try to look on it as each day in hospital is a day closer to health. Once you get out you will pick up quickly and get back to a normality pretty soon

Easier said than done but dont worry because the care than you will get will be second to none.

Andrew x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘The Under 50s Group’ is closed to new replies.