there is life after myeloma diagnosis

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Vicki 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Babs
    Participant

Hi ALL,
    This is for all the many newcomers here, I was diagnosed aged 53 in July 2011 after having severe back pain from November 2010 and many other niggly health problems in the years earlier now known to have been due to my meloma diagnosis. I had stem cell transplant March 2012, currently now in remission.
    At first I thought my life was over, then I found this site !!! Read of people travelling and still enjoying life and thought this is what I shall aim for – WELL this year my husband and I have been to New York for 6 days in May,2 weeks caravaning holiday in Cornwall in July,Paris on Eurostar in August for 4 days then flew to Western Australia in September.
    It does take some organising but is do able, now we are planning next years trips.
    Babs

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Babs

So glad to hear that things are going well for you. I'd echo what you say. There is life after diagnosis, in fact, I don't know about you, but many is the day I can't believe I have this horrible disease.

Here's to the future!

Love.

Mavis x

eve
    Participant

Hi Babs

Back from your travels!!! And I bet planning the next one:-)

It's all good news for you and I am so glad,might just see you at bloods sometime as Slim is going to hospital to keep an eye on his platelets.
    Warning parking has got worst!!! So leave early if you have an appointment.
    Good Luck Bab,love Eve

Ang287
    Participant

Hi Babs
    It was nice to read this and to hear that you are now in remission and getting to some nice places. That's the way to do it. I can't wait until we can plan something but I am sure it won't be long off. Can you recommend anyone for traven insurance although I realize it probably won't be until next Summer that we go away.
    My husband also had lots of niggly pains over the years but has had gout for years and every time he got a really bad hip or back pain he said it was his gout playing up and I now wonder if this was the case but we will never know. The back pain that he started with in January though was totally worse and I have never seen anyone in such pain and looking so white at times. In March I took time off to attend physio with him but he said I could not go in with him as I would show him up. I said ok (and sat in the waiting room)but you had better come out with a referral for an X-ray and he did – he came out with an MRI referral so we were finally getting somewhere. It's just a shame it took so long.
    Graham was on top of the world yesterday as he had got his second bone marrow biopsy out of the way, his 6 months chemo has finished and he is now onto the next stage of treatment.
    Take care, Angela x

willjames2
    Participant

Hi Babs,

Nice one. I'm glad your doing so well and you have been on your travels. Stories like yours are really uplifting and are good for the site and the forum.

Keep us updated on your future adventures!

All the best.

Scott:-)

dickb
    Participant

Good news that you are able to embrace life again. Nothing like a dose of MM to help you reassess what is important in life. Your story certainly gives a ray of hope to the rest of us and my wife and I are definately looking forward to our time post stemcell / remission.

Keep it up and make the most of things.

Babs
    Participant

Hi Angela,
    We used world first for our travel insurance, at first it seemed like no one would insure me and a lot of them asked at what stage was I diagnosed-when I said we are not staged they said they couldn't do anything for me!!! but then someone on here suggested world first,you do have to phone ,it cannot be done over the internet, but they knew all about myeloma and asked all the right questions.
    Eve,
    we are back at the hospital on the 22nd seeing myeloma consultant for my now 3 monthly check in with him, have been to hospital last month for bloods and the lovely bench jones test and yes parking will be an issue, I am there this week to see another consultant for completely unrelated problem to my myeloma, unfortunately worsened by the long haul flight back from WA, but we had put it on hold till myeloma sorted and now good time to tackle it.
    Mavis,Scott and Dick,
    My intention was to give hope to the newly diagnosed as I had been given once I found this site, My husband and daughters sometimes tell me off for using this site because sometimes I am in tears after reading it,I do sometimes have feelings of why me!I wish I was still at work as I miss my friends and collegues,I cannot do a lot of the normal things I used to take for granted AND unfortunately I have bone damage which I feel every day and no amount of exercise will make walking ,shopping or standing more comfortable BUT I am lucky to be in remission and as has been said this diagnosis does make you look at life and make you determined to get the most out of life and enjoy every day as best you can.
    I have long term goals as most of us do,
    Best wishes to you all
    Babs

eve
    Participant

Hi Babs

well we have lots of appointments as Slims blood is being checked twice a week, then in for platelets as needed, but none at the moment for the 22 if one comes up I will let you know.

Baba in many ways I agree with hubby and daughter, its time to lock Myeloma in the cupboard, you know it will come and find you! So get your running shoes on and get as far away as posslble, enjoy life to the full for all the people on here who cannot, put normality back in your life.
    like me you have made cyber friends they will still be there, I for one will follow your travels , I miss travelling so when you show all the wonderful photos of you travelling I am envious, so do not waste your time being sad.

good luck love Eve

Vicki
    Participant

Babs

Thanks for this post it does lift the spirits, the thing is I sometimes wonder as the supporter if I should lock the mm ghost in the cupboard so that Colin and I crack on and make the most of it, but I've And we have felt so supported on here that I want to keep it up for others, even if it does remind me of this thing that follows us around every day, good days and bad

You keep up with your travels and enjoy that remission 🙂

Vicki and Colin xxx

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘there is life after myeloma diagnosis’ is closed to new replies.