Tiredness and stomach discomfort

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Sonny 12 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

sunshine
    Participant

My husband has had 4 cycles of Velcade/Chemo/Steroids. He is very tired with no energy and has a lot of discomfort in the stomach. He dosent have much of an appetite and is losing weight. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced the same sort of side effects on the Velcade treatment or if the problems he is having are not related to the treatment at all.

With thanks

Ann

Elizellen
    Participant

Hello Ann!

I noticed this is your first post here, so welcome to the club none of us ever imagined we would be eligible to join.

I have not yet had Velcade (had CDT then a SCT in the summer of 2010) but think I recall other members here posting about having similar problems. I am sure some of them will soon post with their own stories of how this treatment affected them.

My regards to your hubby too. Will he be coming here to read posts or are you the "computer geek" in your marriage? My husband can just about manage to play solitaire on a computer and do "brain training" on his Nintendo DS, so it is always my "job" to look stuff up for him if he wants to find info about his interests. 😉

Eliz
    XX
    X

sunshine
    Participant

Hi Eliz

Thanks for your reply. My husband also had a SCT in 2010 but relapsed a year and a half later hence the Velcade. He has suffered with IBS for many years but that has always caused discomfort much lower down in the gut. It could be that this new discomfort higher up is just his IBS behaving in a different way, perhaps because of the Velcade.

My husband leaves it to me to find out any info about Myeloma – not that I'm anymore computer literate than he is!

Best wishes
    Ann

Mari
    Participant

Hi Ann

My husband has just finished 5 cycles of Velcade with dexamethasone. He finds he suffers from dreadful bloating. His tummy swells up to a huge size and is very uncomfortable. He gets a nasty taste in his motuh and that can affect his appetite but he generally finds that he gains weight when he is on steroids. He did when he was taking dex as part of CDT. He has been very lucky to have had his velcade by sub cutaneous injection up until the last two injections and has not suffered many side effects although the tiredness has been getting steadily worse. However this week, after two intravenous injections of velcade, he has been exhausted, hardly able to get out of bed and with no motivation to do anything. Previously he was able to go to work on the days he was not having a treatment, but this week he has not had the energy to do much at all. The good news is that he has now finished his velcade and his paraprotein levels have dropped to less than two. His last treatment was last Friday, and today,for the first time, he has more energy. He cooked supper tonight and he says he is going to work on Monday! We will see.

I hope the Velcade works well for your husband and he does not need too many more cycles and can start to feel more himself again,

Love Mari xx

Sonny
    Participant

Hi Ann

This is my first post since joining the site, my husband has just finished 4 cycles of Dex/Velcade/Doxyrubicin as part of the PADIMAC trial and has suffered similar side effects, to the extent that he spent a week end in hospital wth a sub acute bowel obstruction where he needed a naso gastric tube. He is now having a few weeks off before starting stem cell harvesting, is still feeling very tired and for the past few days has been having pins and needles in his hands. Hope your husband is feeling well again soon.

Love Ann (Jones)

sunshine
    Participant

Hi Sonny

Thanks for your post and do hope your husband is feeling better soon. My husband has numbness in his toes which is a side effect of the Velcade and similar to your husbands pins and needles in his hands. Hope all goes well with the stem cell harvesting.

Best wishes

Ann

sunshine
    Participant

Hi Mari

Thanks for your post. It seems the lack of energy/exhaustion/loss of
    appetite must be to do with the Velcade combinations. So glad your
    husband's paraproteins are down to 2 and that he has more energy and will
    hopefully be able to go back to work.

With best wishes

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tiredness and stomach discomfort’ is closed to new replies.