to SCT or Not to SCT

This topic contains 18 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  clare 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Billy
    Participant

Hi Clare
    My name is Billy 51 years old was diagnosed in August 2012 MM stage 3 PP46
    currently PP at 0 : ) have my transplant at Barts on 20 May .
    I have had all my treatment at Barts and to date i cannot say a bad word against them they have been great from the consultants to the cleaners i do owe them a lot .
    So if you are looking for a recomendation heres one for you , THEY ARE GREAT

Regards Billy

Jet
    Participant

Hi Clare

I've not read everyone's responses, but a few, including both of Dai's.

I had an awful time going through my auto SCT (almost two years ago). Having said that, I completely agree with Dai that even though it may be horrid to go through, it really isn't terrifying, just a bit miserable.

In my case, a relapse came very quickly – 5 months, so the SCT was deemed to have failed. However, I don't think that an SCT will bring on an earlier relapse, so I think I would have relapsed anyway. The doctors who ARE proponents of SCT reckon that it increases the chances of a longer remission, but we are all different and there's no way of knowing what will work best for any of us, including your mum. As research continues, they hope to discover markers that indicate which treatments would be best for individual people, but we're not there yet.

I want to add one thing, which is that as your mum is 67, she is at the slightly older end of the spectrum for being considered for an SCT. That is a good thing because it means that they deem her to be young/healthy enough and a good candidate to benefit from it. But it also means that she might not be considered for it in a few years time…

I wish you and her the best of luck and am sure you will come to a decision that feels right. That's the best you can do.

Jet

comfortablynumb
    Participant

I had my SCT in 2009. I am feeling better than ever and work 12 hour shifts – all very physical work. I also play in a wedding band and have a normal life in every way.

I hope you make the right decision and that all goes well for you and your mum. X

clare
    Participant

Thank you ComfortablyNumb, great song by the way..lol.. I'm happy you've had a,great result, thank you for sharing your experience with me and mum. It really helps her when it comes to making the next decisions regarding her treatment x

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘to SCT or Not to SCT’ is closed to new replies.