Travel Insurance

This topic contains 18 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  phil47 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

graemeandrewartha
    Participant

Good day to all,

I have been through all chemo and last November completed my SCT. At present I come under 2 consultants in different hospitals.

My consultant 1 has said I can travel once the final bone marrow test has been done and I will confirm with consultant 2 where I had the SCT done.

I want to go to Australia to see my sister April/May. To date I am being quoted £1500-2000 for 4 weeks insurance. Does anyone have any suggestions of good Insurance Companies. Has anyone travelled this far. Even considering a stopover in Hong Kong.

Apart from  slight pain at the top of one leg managed by Tramadol I feel lucky that I do not have any other symptoms to prevent me going.

Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards, Graeme

bandityoga
    Participant

Hi Graeme

Nice to hear you are doing well.

We are going to Lanzarote and paid £102 for insurance for 1 week from nowicantravel and husband is still on treatment.

Maureen

graemeandrewartha
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Maureen,

I have been going through the Internet and have found a company for £789.00 covering my Multiple Myeloma and Crohns for 31 days.

This was done via their Web site so further checks required. I will make a note of yours and look into it.

Regards

Graeme

andyg
    Participant

Hi Graeme.

I second Maureens suggestion. We’ve been using nowicantravel.com for the last couple of years and found them very good. We only travel to Greece for a week at a time and pay less than £70 for both of per trip. We always deal wth them over the phone. I’m on treatment all the time and have been since diagnosis in oct 2011 and I’ve never had a SCT and they insure me without any problems todate.

Every day is a gift.

Andy.

mattkbo
    Participant

Hi Graeme,

I recently went to Barbados (2 wks) and insured myself (currently in remission) and my wife with Avanti Insurance. Before purchasing I asked for advice in the ‘under 50s’  group and after I purchased I posted the following which I have cut and pasted for you to read. Hope it helps and have a great trip.

Regads

Matt
    ‘I have now booked my travel insurance, it was an education. The hardest part I think for me was answering the same list of questions over and over again, speaking to strangers about my illness and seeing how they ( or their company really) reacted to my answers. Having said this however, if this is the first time you are booking travel insurance since diagnosis then I would really recommend you put yourself through this because you learn a lot about insurers attitude to risk and Myeloma. Here are few notes I made on some of the companies I called,  reminder, I am under 50 and my Myeloma is currently in remission.

Bupa: Do not insure Myeloma.

Freedom Travel: Do not insure Myeloma.

All Clear: Would insure me, highest quote I received, if I got sick they said they would treat in me in USA, also some discussion as to whether I was on powerful painkillers.
    Insure Cancer: Would not insure me as my Myeloma is not active, really helpful man.

Avanti: I decided to go with them as if I became ill, they would repatriate me if needed and not treat in USA, were more competitive and I felt they actually listened to me rather than just put me through a process.

I am not recommending any one company but would recommend spending some time phoning around and speaking to as many as you can manage. Good luck!’

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by  mattkbo.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by  mattkbo.

graemeandrewartha
    Participant

Thanks to all for thoughts on travel insurance.

I am lucky and feel so well at the moment but will need insurance and will not travel without it as not worth the risk.

Regards

Graeme

keithmt
    Participant

My wife and I have found World First to be very good as they base the premium on your exact condition at the time and not just a generic “cancer” rate. My myeloma went into complete remission last August and my wife has had bowel cancer which metastasised to her lung last year. We have a joint multi-trip worldwide policy for just under £500 a year.
    I’ve had no experience of making a claim but so far I’ve been very impressed with them.

Keith

graemeandrewartha
    Participant

Many thanks for replies.

Regards.

Graeme

roncantrill
    Participant

Hi Graeme,
    My wife is now 5 years full remission so it is not quite the same but we took advantage of the Nationwide free insurance offer. It doesn’t cover the Myeloma but it is possible to purchase the top up cover which cost us about £100 for a full year of European travel. There is a delay from opening the account to eligibility but it’s only about 6 months. This may not be much use to you now but it may be worth considering for the future. The real benefit is that it covers for a full year.
    Ron.

don
    Participant

Greetings one and all,

My wife and I are travelling to Tuscany for a week, to wander around the hill towns. We decided to take out travel insurance and after several long phone calls answering the same questions over and over again, we found SAGA were able to provide us with insurance cover at the lowest price.

In my case the questions piled up, for in the past eighteen months I have been diagnosed with myeloma, had a pulmonary embolism, bowel cancer, pneumonia and then found I have osteo arthritis.

For every ailment under the sun,

there is a remedy or there is none.

If there be one then try to find it,

If there be none, then never mind it

don
    Participant

Oh, I forgot to add that I am eighty years of age. One or two travel insurance companies that advertise widely on television, declined to provide me with insurance cover.

Tuscany here we come!

steverowley
    Participant

Hi Graeme,

I’ve been in remission from multiple myeloma since January 2013, having had SCT in November 2012.

For the past two years we have used ‘All Clear’ via ‘insurance choice’.

Unlimited multi-trip, World Wide, excluding, North & South America & Caribbean, for myself and my wife.

I did a lot of ‘trawling around’ via the Internet etc, and although not cheap, we went with them.

Worth an enquiry anyway.

Kind regards,

Steve.

avrilro55
    Participant

I also used All Clear for my trip to Goa in January very good price; however when I enquired about America, as we have to go next year, they want £800 plus. I have been off treatment for a Year after only 4 months on initial treatment. Have no bone problems and consultant says I fit to travel. If anyone knows of another company would greatly appreciate hearing about it.

chris55lees
    Participant

Hi Avril

I have just got travel insurance for a two week holiday in America with Avanti for £231 . I was diagnosed in June 2012 , and had my bone marrow transplant in February 2013 . I am in remission and not on any painkillers .Hope this is of help  Chris

avrilro55
    Participant

Avanti quoted me £820.00.  Think i must be older than u i am 73 , but i very fit not on treatment except Zometa light chains only 100 all other bloods good. No pain. I have been off treatment for a year see Consultant end of October, 4 monthly interval between appointments. Strange how they can quote me so much. I not had sct and do not intend to, perhaps that the reason! Thanks anyway for your input

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Travel Insurance’ is closed to new replies.