Travel Insurance info

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  buddy 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

phil47
    Participant

Hi,
    I know this subject often crops up but just thought I'd post my latest experience. I have used World First a couple of times and they've been very reasonable, but just out of interest i thought I'd try a comparison website. Moneysupermarket claim to be able to access the best cover for pre-existing conditions as well as the routine stuff so I entered my details (I'm off to Cyprus for a week next week). They came back with 9 quotes, the best of which was £225.99 so I tried World First again who quoted £37.58! Hope this info might be useful to someone!
    Happy Holidays
    Phil

Willisboy
    Participant

Phil,

Thank you very much for this post.

I have no holidays planned at this time but I was discussing this subject of travel insurance with my wife the other day, anticipating problems I may have in the future.

Yes, this info could be very useful.
    Thank you for sharing this.

God bless you

Graham

Perkymite
    Participant

The real question is with insurance are your illnesses, such as Myeloma, INCLUDED or EXCLUDED. If they are excluded then I am afraid you are wasting your money.

kindest regards – vasbyte

David

andyg
    Participant

Hi Phil.
    I've just got back from Greece. We found it very hard for various reason to even get a quote for our trip this time. My myeloma and my wife's diabetes causing all sorts of problems oh and me being 3 weeks post spinal op didn't help. We tried all the ones we'd used before to no avail! Eventually got a quote of £860 with no guarantee it'd would be accepted. Eventually we got a weeks insurance for the both of us for £85. It's very important your honest with them or else your not going to be covered in a claim and as David says your just wasting your money.
    I tried moneysupermarket and couldn't get a quote due to my MM. £35 does sound very cheap.

Everyday is a gift
    Enjoy them

Andy

bandityoga
    Participant

Andy

Which insurance company covered you?

Maureen

andyg
    Participant

Hi Maureen.

We finally got insured with Now I Can Travel. It's important to get cover as we found out from my sister in law after we got home. A friend of ours was at the airport coming home from Tenerife when he took ill. A doctor refused to let him fly home and he's been in hospital ever since with medical bills topping £20000 already. They took a chance of going without insurance due to it being "too" expensive due to pre-existing medical problems.

Everyday is a gift
    To be cherished

Andy xx

bandityoga
    Participant

Thanks Andy

Will keep a note of this when Ian feels confident enough to travel will get a quote.

Ian had his home visit today and it went very well. Commented on how quiet it was in the house compared to the hospital. He will have to take it slowly at first as he hasn't been mobile for months but progress is very good and now walking more with zimmer and physio thinks he will walk without aids.

Went for monthly zometa infusion on Monday and blood results. All bloods were fine but no light chain report as hospital was late in taking bloods. Hopefully they will be stable. Now 6 months will no chemo. Still praying for a miracle.

Life is a gift.

Maureen x

Debbie
    Participant

Hi everyone

My dad has myeloma and we are trying to find travel insurance for a fortmight in California. We have only managed to get one company to quote and it was just shy of £4000! Can anyone recommend other companies that will quote on myeloma?

His doctor has told him that he is stage 2 – does anyone know what that means? How many stages are there?

He has completed his first round of tablet chemo and his blood tests have improved.

A man overhead me and my sister discussing the travel insurance problems and he explained that he was in remission and that he simply gets the Myeloma excluded from the cover. He felt it was highly unlikely during a short holiday period, that the Myeloma would require emergency treatment and that he would simply wait to get back to the UK.

Would you agree with this thinking? What kind of myeloma symptoms would require immediate treatment that could not wait until you got home?

Is this a crazy risk to take or a calculated one?

Thank you in anticipation of any advice you can offer

Debbie

andyg
    Participant

Hi Debbie
    In my opinion it's a crazy risk. After only one round of chemo his body won't have adapted to the strong chemicals he's putting into his body. Improving bloods are a good sign BUT is no where near remission. I personally went through a bad time for the first few months of chemo. Infections were a constant problem and hospital visits and stays regular. If anything untoward were to happen in America the costs would be astronomical.
    Please don't go without proper cover.

Everyday is a gift.
    Enjoy them

Andy x

buddy
    Participant

Hi, I was going to New York and have MM. I saw an ad on the TV for Stay Sure Travel Insurance and was quoted £39 for a week. I thought this was very cheap. Hope this helps.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Travel Insurance info’ is closed to new replies.