Very first signs and symptom of MM

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  pavvyg 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

pavvyg
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I am new to this site and just wanted to hear members very first signs and symptoms of MM and that something was wrong.

I thought I was fit and healthy until a routine blood test last month showed I had elevated protein and calcium in my blood – these have subsequently gone back into “normal” ranges however further testing by my GP has evidenced the M Protein detected in my blood as well as a raised Kappa level and now have been referred to a Hemotoligist.

I feel absolutely fine so it has come as a big shock as it appears this M Protein is only apparent with patients with MM or MGUS which I understand can lead to MM. Ill be honest before these tests my knowledge of MM was very minimal and its only through the help of this site that my knowledge has grown!

Is it possible to have MM without ANY symptoms whatsoever? I get the occasional back pain but is sporadic and not with much pain to be honest. Aside from a recent GOUT diagnosis I am otherwise fit and healthy and play Tennis 2x a week.

Any of your views would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pav

davidainsdale
    Participant

Hi Pav

Sorry to hear that you suspect that you may have MM. First signs for me were a bad back and tiredness. Like you I had elevated calcium ( emergency hospital admission ) and high protein levels.

It is probably a good sign that it has been picked up early.

There is plenty of advice available from Myeloma UK either on the phone, booklets, support groups or websites.

Hope this helps.

David

pavvyg
    Participant

Many thanks David – I appreciate you taking the time out to respond.

I just have an agonising few week wait to see the Hematologist now to see what is what. My results were as below so not sure what they mean really only that it appears I have the M protein so likely MM or MGUS.

Kind Regards

Pav

<br style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; background-color: #f7f7f7;” /><span style=”font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; background-color: #f7f7f7;”>Serum kappa light chain level 23.16 mg/l (3.3 -19.4)</span><br style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; background-color: #f7f7f7;” /><span style=”font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; background-color: #f7f7f7;”>Serum lambda light chain level 16.33 (5.7-26.3)</span><br style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; background-color: #f7f7f7;” /><span style=”font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; background-color: #f7f7f7;”>Kappa / lambda ratio 1.42 (0.26-1.65)</span><br style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; background-color: #f7f7f7;” /><br style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; background-color: #f7f7f7;” /><span style=”font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; background-color: #f7f7f7;”>Immunoglobulin A level 1.99 g/l (0.8-3.0)</span><br style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; background-color: #f7f7f7;” /><span style=”font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; background-color: #f7f7f7;”>Immunoglobulin G level 16.12 g/l (5.4-16.1)</span><br style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; background-color: #f7f7f7;” /><span style=”font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; background-color: #f7f7f7;”>Immunoglobulin M level 0.58 g/l (0.5-2.0)</span><br style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; background-color: #f7f7f7;” /><br style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; background-color: #f7f7f7;” />

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Very first signs and symptom of MM’ is closed to new replies.