VTD & SCT Time scale

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jason43 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

jason43
    Participant

HI

Am due to start my first cycle of VTD in the coming weeks I was wondering if anyone as any advice & know roughly how long the hole proses takes ? Been told it will be 4 to 6 cycles VTD with a brake before going into hospital for the stem cell transplant

Thanks

kevin
    Participant

Hello Jason,

I was first diagnosed back in 2006. It returned again 1n 2012 and as of now has just started to come back again. On both previous occasions I had a course of CTD followed by a SCT. In both cases from stating the treatment to leaving hospital after the SCT was about 8 to 9 months. I don’t know weather this would apply to VTD. It seems to be an individual disease and even in my case both times things were different. Both were certainly doable and gave me around 4 years drug free. From my last blood test I have found out that it has just stated to return. No treatment yet and when needed I don’t know what I will be having, only that I will not get another SCT. Two seems to be the limit. I just let the medication do its job.
    Best wishes
    Kevin

Best wishes

jason43
    Participant

Thanks Kevin that’s about the timescale I had in my head am sure the doctor will give me a more accurate timescale as you say everyone is different

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by  jason43.

mickack
    Participant

Hi Jason. .yes the timescales are about right as Kevin said…Ive just had my 2nd stem cell transplant over Christmas. ..I started velcade may 2016 for 6 months then stem cell transplant December 2016..

I had 2 years good drug free remission after my 1st stem cell transplant in April 2014…

Kevin I see you had really good remissions. .is there anything extra you did to help you stay drug free for that amount of time…I changed my diet etc and I know we are all individuals with this cancer but any advice you have on what you may have done would be welcome 🙂

Mick

janw
    Participant

Hi Jason,

Because we all react so differently to the various drugs, it is very difficult to predict the actual length of your treatment period or the specific number of treatment cycles you will have to undertake. It all depends on how well you respond to the chemotherapy and your tolerability to the drugs.

My first treatment in 2010 consisted of four cycles of CDT followed by an stem cell transplant (SCT) which took a total time of 5 months. However my relapse treatment in 2015/16 took 8 cycles of VCD followed by an Sct which took a longer time of 12 months. The relapse treatment took longer due to a number of factors including a short break required due to low blood levels, another break due to flu virus, peripheral neuropathy, my myeloma taking longer to respond and waiting lists for STC.

The aim of your VTD chemotherapy will be to reduce your myeloma levels by as much as possible prior to the STC process. At the end of each cycle of treatment, you meet with your consultant to monitor your bloods, myeloma levels and your progress, together with discussing how you are coping with the treatment and any side effects you are experiencing. Your consultant will then decide on the best way forward which may be altering your treatment/dose of medications/length of each cycle/number of cycles, etc.

I hope your treatment is successful.
    Best wishes
    Jan

kevin
    Participant

Hello Mick

I didn’t do anything specific. I have never been interested in the details of MM. The only thing I would ask my consultant was how it is going. During my treatment I have always been confident that it would work and that also applies to the treatment my consultant decides I should have now it is returning. Initially it did some damage to my spine and this sometimes gives me some back pain and this is the only time I really give MM some thought when in remission. I have confidence in my treatment and am positive that each time it returns I will beat it.
    Best wishes
    Kevin

mickack
    Participant

Thanks for your reply Kevin…yes keeping positive is good for the mind and soul 🙂 I have changed my diet radically over the last 2 years of the 3.5 years of having mm..that really helped me..gotta live with my unwanted tenant but hes not getting all his own way 🙂

Take care all

jason43
    Participant

Thanks again guys your advice is much appreciated

jason

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘VTD & SCT Time scale’ is closed to new replies.