What happens if SCT fails?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  claireroe50 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

lynnes
    Participant

I am anxious to know what happens if SCT fails – what is the outcome of massive chemo but no viable return of platelets?

louishenry
    Participant

The answer, as always, is it all depends. Mine was successful but only for a year. Whatever happens you and your team will sit down and say, right, what next? Nowadays there are so many alternatives and combinations, even drugs not available in NICE guidelines are available through trials, each year you survive there are more treatments coming onstream. No guarantees for anyone, including those without myeloma, but hopefully we’ll get a good few years yet.

louishenry
    Participant

To be more precise, they will give you lots of bags of platelets and if necessary​ more drugs to improve the engraftment process, after which your body, unless you are catastrophically unlucky, will start producing its own.

claireroe50
    Participant

Hi all mine only lasted 5month pp came up week a was suppose to be having my allo transplant but a suppose its as well it showed then & not week i started the treatment. Im now waiting for results ofbone marrow biopsy and wil take from there see whats suggested eh .there is lots of different drugs and trials i know its wether we can get on one. At beginning of my journey i had allopurinol aciclivor amd thilodamide in with my ctd but had terrible rash all over that ended up peeling so stopped the 3drugs even though it was thought to be the allopurinol. So hopefully if needed to try the thilodamide they would give it a go. Take care all c x

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘What happens if SCT fails?’ is closed to new replies.