What is stem cell transplant really like?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Nettie 12 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

MikeTall
    Participant

Hi Penny, I was diagnosed Feb 2010 and had my SCT Dec 25th 2010. My wife and I also have a blog that you may want to browse through at http://www.lornaandmickyour-loma.blogspot.com Having been through my SCT and also reading the stories of others on this thread, the only points I can make are that you should probably suck lollies as you have the Melphelan (high-dose chemo), as this will protect you from getting too sore a mouth and throat. This works by keeping the blood supply away from the mouth while the chemo works. I felt really well for about 5 days, even commenting to everybody that I didn't know what all the fuss was about. Then…….. I felt AWFUL for about 2 weeks, terrible tummy and feeling sick. I would say that you should prepare for a rough week or two, as most, not all, of the people I have spoken to have had some sort of sickness and runny tummy like I did. I can give you much more detail if you wish, just contact me by e-mail: mike.gormley@hotmail.co.uk.

Nettie
    Participant

Hi Penny

You are not alone in the Highlands – I live up in Dunnet (Thurso) and had my second SCT in Aberdeen in 2009. The staff at Aberdeen are great and they even provided me with a Wii Sport machine to keep me moving and relieve the boredom! You may even be entertained by Steven (Seagull) who knocks on the window every morning expecting to share your breakfast! If you would like to contact me by email my address is pippannette@macace.net.

Wishing you all the best,
    Nettie x

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What is stem cell transplant really like?’ is closed to new replies.