3 weeks

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  marty2019 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

djh1066
    Participant

I lost my very healthy fit dad yesterday, 3 weeks from diagnosis. He was only in hospital a week and a half. His kidneys were critical, the hospital were fighting hard, until he needed intensive care, then they said he had an infection in his bowel and stomach and instead they called us in. He had his biopsy the day before, but we do not know the results. The hospital never returned calls, there was no visiting because of COVID restrictions until end of life. We have and still are in the dark. I have a video of him running and playing with my granddaughter in the garden 4 weeks ago. I am trying to make sense of it all.

marty2019
    Participant

My condolences! It is not easy losing someone. My mother also had myeloma (like me) and underwent a slow and steady decline for six years before we lost her at the age of 71. The family knew it was going to happen and we thought we were prepared. But this did not make it any easier when it did. In contrast, my father was as strong and tough as an ox right to the end, typical of the generation that lived through WWII. Even in his late-80s, he would go shopping and carry the whole lot (four or five shopping bags in each hand) from the car to the kitchen in one go just to save making a second trip from the garage. We lost him suddenly and without warning at the age of 89. The shock of this was just as bad, if not worse. However, I find it getting easier over time especially when my brothers and I reminisce over the happy and funny times. Some of the things my father did or said still have us rolling around in laughter.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.