30 year engagement

This topic contains 15 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Gill 13 years ago.

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • Author

Gill
    Participant

When we visited our solicitor regarding our marriage we were really surprised at the lack of any rights a "common law" partner has. Without wanting to be depressing most of it did revolve what would happen if one of you died first.

She told us that the person left would have no right to keep anything unless it was willed to them or the next of kin gave it to them, even the smallest thing that might be of sentimental value. If the next of kin in our cases Stephen's daughter and my eldest child had taken on what appeared to us as an odd or strange religious belief then the service could be that. eg. a flower fairy funeral (sounds quite nice if there was such a thing 🙂

The next of kin would not even have to inform the partner where or when the service was to be held. Yes the partner could go to court and fight it but hey I imagine that's the last thing one would think of.

We did say at the time that the kids would rely on whichever one of us was left to decide but our solicitor warned that sometimes families fall out in later years or took on strong beliefs that you may not choose to follow

Best wishes Gill xx

PS regarding rings in a civil ceremony (cannot say regarding religious) they just leave the words about rings out completely. You just let them know on the day The registrar?s assistant just mentioned ?no rings? as we went in. I found the whole thing very funny all the way through and giggled silently with my head demurely turned to one to one side. It was half way through that I realised I was full faced in a mirror and could be seen

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)

The topic ‘30 year engagement’ is closed to new replies.