Alternative and complementary therapies

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  KWilson 13 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Jet
    Participant

It has just occurred to me… Don't know why it took so long, but anyway… I'm surprised not to see any mention of alternative or complementary therapies.

Is there anyone on this site who has used or is planning or researching using other therapies, whether diet, exercise, acupuncture, supplements, spiritual healing, reiki, or whatever, alongside or even instead of medical/pharmaceutical treatment?

I have just been recommended to check out Cancer Active: http://www.canceractive.com/ and thought I'd pass it on here in case it's of use to anyone else.

Jet
    Participant

I was also told, by the same person, that cancer hates oxygen and loves sugar. Anyone else got any unconventional wisdom?

Min
    Participant

My husband took curcumin as advised by an asian friend following his stem cell transplant. The same friend recommended a tv channel with yoga to follow. He said that people from his country rarely suffer from MM. He did strong exercises instead to get back his lost muscle tone.
    Within 5 months he relapsed.
    I have never been sure if this was due to being released from hospital on the very day he had his cells transplanted! He spent his entire isolation period at home. Taking nothing but anti virals and occasional nausea tablets

BADGER
    Participant

Hello Jet
    i have not tried any alternatives for the myeloma but i have had accupunture for pain relief which worked quite well

Regards jO :-/

Jet
    Participant

Good grief!!! Why on earth did they release your husband on the day of his transplant? I'm sorry to hear he relapsed so quickly.

I've been told I will have a 2-4 week stay in hospital and that you have to be ultra-careful of not catching any infections.

I'm curious about your title: "Would you risk alternative therapies alone?" Does this indicate that you feel frightened or sceptical of alternative/complementary therapies? You didn't explain…

I've used various therapies with differing levels of success over the years for much more minor problems… never had cancer before! 😀 I've also heard amazing stories of people changing their diet and using supplements and tumours decreasing or even disappearing, so I'm curious.

Min
    Participant

Jet
    He had very good blood results, no sickness, no mouth problems, and we only lived 20minutes away from the hospital.
    You stay in hospital because, if you have problems they need to ensure that they respond quickly to high temperatures infections etc. But often being in hospital means you can catch hospital acquired infections. Not least of which can come from your central line. He had no central line and the only 'infection' he had was caused by the canula put in place for his melphalan. He got this ten days after release. It was a hot red spot on his forearm. His only other problem was nausea and fatigue
    He/ we use a variety of alternative medicines omega3 manuka honey etc. But they are complimentary rather than alternative.
    I have read all the stuff about a number of people who are stuffing themselves with a variety of vitamins etc, but when you dig deeper and find the quantities involved and the fact that vitamins are not always medically prepared Personally i would not be prepared to abandon traditional medicine.
    My husband used to go for acupuncture for a problem that cost him a fortune. A proper professor found out he needed a heart bypass to cure the pain in his wallet and the congenital defect in his heart.
    If one is convinced that toxic medical drugs are not for them. I think they are extremely brave individuals.
    If herbs and the like work is it the placebo affect that makes them work? If so at what point do you return to traditional medicine to get blood work done for results.
    Very thought provoking topic
    Min

brocho
    Participant

Hi Jet interesting topic I must admit its not something I am prepared to take a risk with Nothing I have read so far has convinced me that using herbal remedies alone could deal with cancer , if that were the case it would have been proved beyond doubt a long time ago . Vitamin supplements to deal with by-products of cancer have been useful for some but for me I am wary of taking anymore alien substances on top of all the toxins I need to take love Bridget

KWilson
    Participant

Nope I definitely wouldn't risk taking anything else alongside the prescribed drugs and the interactions can be quite drastic sometimes. I do have faith in complimentary therapies but under these circumstances, they are not something I'd want to take.

xxxxxxxxxxx

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Alternative and complementary therapies’ is closed to new replies.