Anticoagulant

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Michele 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Maryb
    Participant

Hi, Mary B here again, newly diagnosed, about to start treatment, on a different topic.
    I know that once on treatment an anticoagulant is administered to try and avoid blood clotting. Has anyone out there come across the CoaguChek XS its a home monitoring device to measure how the blood is behaving. People on Warfarin can use it apparently.
    Can anyone tell me the name of the anticoagulant used for Myeloma patients I'm not on it yet, and I can't remember the name of the one that was given to my sister. Thanks all.

eve
    Participant

Hi Mary

Not all patients are put on in,personal history or DVT usually starts it.

Clexane is what my husband uses,but he has just been put on to RIVAROXABAN ,does the same job,no checking needed for both treatments,only when you are on warfarin ,it has to be checked.

RIVAROXABAN is a 1 tablet,a day. Eve

jmsmyth
    Participant

Hi Mary

Frank was also put on Clexame. They put him on it automatically. He has no history of DVT. Think it depends on your hospital. Hope thing go we'll

Jean

Michele
    Participant

I was put on Clexane injections to start with but seemed to have an allergic reaction to them, so after just one cycle was given aspirin to take every day instead.
    It obviously did the trick. No clots at all during treatment fortunately.

meganjane
    Participant

Hi Mary,

Welcome to the forum, everyone on here is very friendly and helpful so ask any questions you have.

My husband Phil is treated at Bart's, his first line treatment was the PADIMAC trial (he is now in remission after a SCT in December 2012) and he was not given any anticoagulants but he had no other medical problems and he was 43 at diagnosis so it may not have been deemed necessary for him. PADIMAC was dex-dox-velcade.

Megan

andyg
    Participant

Welcome Mary
    I'm on tinzaparin injections. Done nearly 700 to date :-S

Every days a gift
    And an injection

Andy xx

DaiCro
    Participant

Hi Mary,

I have had one pulmonary embolism (following extensive radiotherapy before diagnosis) and two DVT's (One in each leg a year apart), I was on warfarin for ten months which I came off pre-SCT and was never put back on it:-) .

Following my first DVT I was put on Enoxaparin (Clexane) 150ml, which I stayed on for six months before the dose was dropped to 40ml as a maintenance dose. I was back up to the 150ml following the second DVT and I have been on it ever since/// which I work out as 760 continuos injections from July 2011. (Sorry Andy… you will have to wait for the local record):-D

Prevention is always better than cure and I will be asking my consultant about Slim's RIVAROXABAN next Monday.8-)

Best wishes

Dai,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anticoagulant’ is closed to new replies.