Atypical symptoms and results

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  graham-c 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

graham-c
    Participant

My symptoms predominantly relate to my abdomen and when my GP first mentioned bone cancer I was puzzled, though perhaps I shouldn’t have been, considering what triggered it. There is a problem with my rectus (abdominal) muscle and, combined with a prolapsed disc, though I can walk and move quite freely most of the time, if I move in certain directions and ways, I lose the ability to support myself. On one occasion it caused me to put all my body weight on my prolapsed disc and put me in hospital which was when the prolapsed disc was diagnosed though no one told me (which is one of my continuing bugbears).

On that issue i have been having continuous problems getting details of results from the hospital, even in response to formal Subject Access Requests, the significance of which appeared lost on the hospital, so much so that I had intended to take the hospital to court. This wasn’t necessary and I note this on my Consultant’s last letter “It is now our policy to copy all letters to patients for their information and to improve their care…..”

I only discovered that the back problems were caused by a prolapsed disc which is compounded by my abdominal issue. Now that I know I can at least explain why it is I can switch so easily from normal to crippled so easily and quickly.

My latest blood test results

PP 5 mg/l

eGFR 63

serum free lambda 161.6 mg/dl

kappa/lambda ratio 0.03

and the only issue is my lambda free light chain and no bone issue except my prolapsed disc.

As well as the physical problem with my abdomen my digestion is also seriously impacted. I can eat food and it is absorbed by my body but it makes me ill. Having visited a lipid Consultant that my cholesterol levels were pretty disastrous so I tried a healthy diet which confirmed what I already knew, that my digestive system can’t tolerate fibre.

I have also subsequently discovered that my BP was 167/101 and the result of a fasting glucose test earlier this year was 4.9 & 11.5. The first figure in the FGT is within range but, as I often go without food for 24 hours, it is meaningless.

The point being that in evaluating abnormal blood results haematology must be aware of all results and medical conditions. Heaven knows what it is that’s affecting me but, as my blood test results are out of range, it is sensible to at least consider the to be the culprit.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘Atypical symptoms and results’ is closed to new replies.