Back braces

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  steveellesmere 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

mikesuckling
    Participant

H All, I’m new to this forum and have been diagnosed with Myeloma for about six weeks. I’m currently wearing a back brace but I’ve been told that now needs to be changed to one that goes right up to my neck and chin. Has anyone got any experience of one of these?

Cheers

Mike

steveellesmere
    Participant

Hi Mike

Hope you got the advice you needed on the bigger brace. Did you have surgery to stabilise the back? Was it the back surgery consultant that arranged the brace? Reckon I need one but as far as rehab concerned getting no proactive help from the clinicians. Very best wishes to you and fingers crossed on your journey.

Steve

mikesuckling
    Participant

Hi Steve,

I’m being looked after by a consultant at Stanmore and have several lower vertebrae fractures and one in my neck. Nine in total. Plus myeloma in the sternum. So was recommended for full brace right up to chin

No surgery yet but will be getting a stem cell transplant in a couple of months.

I was given a booklet showing exercises I can do in the brace plus a phone number I can call to discuss any issues.

Are you under Stanmore too?

Best of luck

Mike

steveellesmere
    Participant

Hi Mike

Looks like you are very much in the right place. I saw spinal surgeon in Charing X hospital Hammersmith last week and did the 3 collapsed vertebra (kyphoplasty) but no after care or rehab at all. Stanmore RNOH not far from me (Ealing). Would you be able to give me the name of your consultant or any others there you recommend and I will see about getting an appointment. Take care.

Best wishes

Steve

mikesuckling
    Participant

Good Morning Steve,

The name of my consultant is Mr Sean Molloy who recommended the back brace.

Besr Wishes

Mike

sabs
    Participant

Mike / Steve,

My other half is being seen by Sean Molloy, he is meant to be one of the best, we had to get a fitted body brace as well but for one imminent collapsing vertebrae (doesn’t go up to his neck just above the chest and to the shoulders) – going back on the 26th this month to be re-assessed after 12 weeks of having the brace.

Apparently for anyone living outside of London to get an appointment with Dr Molloy it can take up to 2 years he is very highly reccommended, and if there is any hope of not having an operation he will hold off – we had a few other Dr’s wanting to operate straight away but its the last thing we wanted.

I hope all goes well

Sab’s

steveellesmere
    Participant

Thanks Mike and Sab.

My surgeon suspects further collapsed vertebra so asked me to go in for x-ray this morning. Still waiting for him to feedback. Read somewhere X-ray might miss things so should be MRI?

Will see if can get referred to Sean Molloy.

Best wishes to you,

Steve

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Back braces’ is closed to new replies.